1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

QoS enabling using RSVP

I'm thinking of creating a program that can enable QoS(Quality of Service) using RSVP(Resource ReserVation Protocol) for existing applications, or more specifically, for video streaming. Is that possible? If it is, then how can i do it?

also, has anyone come across any applications and source codes that are QoS-enabled? i can't seem to find any code examples other than those given by MS.

Thanx in advance....
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

you have examples how to enable QOS on specific programs? could you please post the links?

afaik QOS is dependent on the protocol used, specifically the destination port number. so there is no "QOS-enabled program" but QOS can be used with any program that uses network connections...

you only need to make your program use the protocol and setup your OS to do QOS for it. no programming at all...

or did i miss a recent development?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally posted by M.Hirsch
    ..................QOS can be used with any program that uses network connections...

you only need to make your program use the protocol and setup your OS to do QOS for it. no programming at all...

really?.... then how can i make the program use the protocol?...this doesn't require any coding?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

the protocols are defined in your /etc/services (dont know where it is in windows). to use one you need to setup a server, client or both that uses a specific port (port number = protocol).

what exactly do you want to do?

if i understand you correctly, you want QOS for video streaming. if it is using http, you need to setup your switches / routers to make http (destination port 80) have priority. but be aware that this needs to be supported all along the line to your destination host. QOS is of no use on the inernet. it is used in an intranet environment to priorize traffic.

attention: i never heard of RSVP. maybe i am talking about a different kind of QOS. i donīt want to mislead you!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo