1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How do I use queries and user input to generate a cached table with Borl. C++ Build.?

I am using MySQL and Borland C++ Developer 6 to create an in-house CRM database. I can access the DB and have it pull up lists generated by the tables, but what I am having trouble with is figuring out how to have it generate output from the DB based on a SQL query. (I am trying to add some formatting to the output)

Also, which objects do I use in Borland Devel. to generate a SQL query based on user-supplied values (i.e. database search module)

--Justin.
  3. Banned ;)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    >> (I am trying to add some formatting to the output)
    Are you trying to generate a report or what? For that, there's the QReport component set (on the QReport tab).

>> Also, which objects do I use in Borland Devel. to generate a SQL query based on user-supplied values (i.e. database search module)
    The TQuery object (on the BDE tab) springs to mind.

Hope this helps :)
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thanks for the query info.

As for the search function, I'm not generating a report, I'm trying to design a simple application that will query a products database and return the specs for a specific product. To narrow the product down, I want to be able to search by one of four criteria: lentrh, width, height, or model number. Just one is sufficient to get a list of products, so multiple search criteria is not nessecary.

Not to throw a wrinkle at the problem, but I just realized (While typing the above) that I need to generate a query that will return all items with a value close to the entered search criteria, not nessecarily an exact match... (I am going to take this same code and re-adapt it for the contact database portion of the application, so I might as well do it here.)

I think I'm getting in over my head, but I should reall know what I'm doing by the end of this project!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo