1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question about using ASCII characters in C++

Hello, I would like to create an array of ascii characters 1 - 127. Are there any built in functions in C++ to automatically retrieve ascii values? I ask because I dont know how to type many of these characters. Also, it would be much easier than having to manually add each one. Any information would be appreciated.

thanks!

--Musa
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

This is one of those questions where we're not quite sure what's being asked. If you are very new to C/C++, then you may not be aware that C/C++ don't really differentiate between character data and their ASCII values like Pascal and BASIC do. You can treat a character as a character or as a number (its ASCII value) and you can treat a number as a number or as a character. In fact, many of the character-handling functions in the C standard library take ints instead of chars.

Therefore, to load the ASCII values 1-127 into an array indexed from 0 to 126 (sorry, that's how arrays come in C and you did not specify starting with any different index), using C++:
    Code:
    char ascii[127];

for (int i=0; i<127; i++)
        ascii[i] = (char)(i + 1);  // type-cast just for general purposes
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

thanks for the reply, but I found the answer. I am not really new to C++, I just forgot how chars were interpreted. thanks for the help anyways.

--Musa

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo