1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Reading in Files HELP!!!!

Hi, I am currently using hmmio to read in data for a multimedia player. When I run my program is starts off fast but then starts to slow down. I pin pointed the problem to the part where i read in the data. I read in about 15 megs at a time, about 30 frames.

It starts off at about 500ms per read but then slowly goes to an occsillating effect where it takes 500 ms to read then it takes 4 sec to read and so on. Does anyone know why this is happening? here is my code(short version)

char * fileBuffer=(char *)malloc(15552000);
    byte* YP=(char *)malloc(15552000);

/****other stuff****/

void OpenFile()
    {
    hmmio = mmioOpen("C:\\Documents and Settings\\mliu\\Desktop\\YUVPLAYER\\pond.yuv", NULL, MMIO_READ );

mmioSetBuffer(hmmio,fileBuffer,15552000,0);

mmioRead(hmmio,(char *)YP,15552000);
    }

//***calculation and direct draw functions ****//
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

You want to read15 megs in 500ms, i.e. 30MB/s constantly. What media are you reading from?
    If it is a single hard disk, the difference in speed is probably due to fragmentation of the file. It would also be affected by
    - Hard disk cache
    - Controller cache
    - OS cache / efficiency of this
    - available memory / swapping / memory fragmentation
    - interrupt sharing between the controller and another card that is frequently accessed (common: graphics card)
    - driver efficiency / bugs
    - [ ... ]

I donīt know these libraries you are using, but it looks like a Windows program - Windows was not made for high-performance apps like yours ;)

Some tweaking in the OS settings could eliminate your problem, but maybe not...
  5. No Profile Picture

I'm reading in a video file in YUV 4:1:1 format. its about 300 megs for 600 frames. Its reading off a local harddrive(7200 rpm).

I have also tried using fread functions and ReadFile functions and they also resulted in the same problem.

I don't need to read at 30megs/s, I only need to read in at about 15meg/s(30 frames per sec). I know it can't be a hardware problem since a similar program developed by a software company can play this file smoothly.

Please help me out and let me know there is any way to stablize to read in.
    Last edited by azntekkan; June 4th, 2003 at 12:59 PM.
  7. No Profile Picture

Problem Fixed, for anyone who cares or has the same problem. Use CreateFile instead of hmmio. The when using ReadFile specify
    dwFlagsAndAttributes as FILE_FLAG_NO_BUFFERING and FILE_FLAG_OVERLAPPED. That will make it much faster and stable.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo