Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thanks done!!

Originally Posted by dwise1_aol
    In gedit main menu: Edit | Preferences (it's at the bottom). In the gedit Preferences dialog box that pops up, Editor tab. Tab stops is at the top of that property page with a check box for "Insert spaces instead of tabs".

The handy thing about GUIs is that there's a more or less standard logic to the layout of the menus. From there, it's just a matter of searching through the menus following likely leads (eg, Preferences, Options) until you find what you are looking for. It might be well hidden (ie, not put where you would expect it) or not even available (GUIs are notorious for being arbitrary in what they allow you to do, what with the programmer not being able to anticipate all users' desires), but this is the approach to take.
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

emacs learns your tab convention, you don't have to tell it.
    [code]Code tags[/code] are essential for python code and Makefiles!
  5. Contributing User
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by srsiddiqui
    It seems you are computer genius ...
    Hardly. I just have the education and continuing education and the experience of a 35-year software career. Several members with far fewer years are smarter than I am about several aspects of the field, in part because there are so many different aspect to this field. What I passed on to you was common general knowledge that every programmer knows or should know.

At best, my background may be considered unique because I started out as a US Air Force electronic computer systems repairman who then earned his computer science degree on active duty, so I entered into software with a knowledge of hardware. Plus, I had previously been a foreign language major and so was able to apply my language skills to programming -- I would read my programs for what I was telling the computer to do while my fellow students were bumbling about not knowing what to do.

Of course, as the software field continues to evolve, what is considered common general knowledge will undoubtedly change. But I feel that what I have passed on will remain true for quite a while longer.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thats nice to hear about your background.
    Well the knowledge which you have passed to me will last forever and it will be passed to other people and to other generation.So if you are sharing your knowledge you should be proud that you are helping many many people indirectly.AS one day i will be teaching the same concepts to someone else which i learned from you.

Originally Posted by dwise1_aol
    Hardly. I just have the education and continuing education and the experience of a 35-year software career. Several members with far fewer years are smarter than I am about several aspects of the field, in part because there are so many different aspect to this field. What I passed on to you was common general knowledge that every programmer knows or should know.

At best, my background may be considered unique because I started out as a US Air Force electronic computer systems repairman who then earned his computer science degree on active duty, so I entered into software with a knowledge of hardware. Plus, I had previously been a foreign language major and so was able to apply my language skills to programming -- I would read my programs for what I was telling the computer to do while my fellow students were bumbling about not knowing what to do.

Of course, as the software field continues to evolve, what is considered common general knowledge will undoubtedly change. But I feel that what I have passed on will remain true for quite a while longer.
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo