1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How do I use, and setup MinGW Code::Blocks for C?

Hi everyone,

I never programmed before. I also try it then I stop.

I would like to learn ISO C-99. How do I get started? I would like to use MinGW with Code::Blocks. How do I use it, and set it up? Someone told me that Code::Blocks is an IDE, and it's not GUI, or command-line. I thought that IDE was GUI? I am really confused on what an IDE is. They were posting up information, and too me it looks like other then English written. That's how much I didn't understand what an IDE is. I stil don't know what it is. I really want to use Code::Blocks. I also really want to program in ISO C-99. Could anyone help me get started? I would like to read C Primer Plus as for the book. Thank you.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

First go to Code::Blocks webpage, download and install codeblocks-10.05mingw-setup.exe. This contains the MinGW compiler and Code::Blocks. Once that is installed you can begin programming with the C Primer Plus book. You may need to read the manual to figure somethings out such as how to compile the program (I don't know, I have used eclipse and visual studio but never Code::Blocks).

Also an IDE is a GUI. A GUI is a graphical user interface, which just means it isn't on the command line. Most things use GUI's. An IDE is an Integrated Development Environment, which means it contains tools to do things such as error check the code for coding errors or do things like collapse if statements and classes etc. Every IDE is different and if you find yourself hating one there are several other free ones out there to try.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo