1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Should this be in C?

I was hoping for someone's expertise here.

I've been tasked to build a toolset for my employer. This toolset needs to accomplish a handful of things and I wanted to build it on a platform/language that could handle it (and that I could tackle).

10 years ago I was a proficient programmer in C, HTML, and Visual Basic with a little C++, scripting, and java in there. Now I'm extremely rusty but am willing to put in the time to get back into it.

This toolset needs to able to:
    1. Some type of interface to receive user inputted data (strings of text and yay/nay mostly) and click through prompts with multiple options.
    2. To open a web browser and output some of that data into some prompts that are there (I've done this one before in HTML/javascript).
    3. To put that data into some type of database (maybe SQL or just a spreadsheet - I've also done this before in VB).
    4. To parse that data and perform mathematical calculations on it (mostly probabilities).
    5. To pull from an email distribution list and email a template.

Thanks guys/gals!! I know you could all do it better but I've been jonesin for an excuse to get back into programming and this is a good kick in the pants....
  3. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

If you want to use a web-based platform application, you could take a look at the ASP .NET framework which use C# as language and MS SQL as database.

Another alternative is to use PHP on Apache and then use MySQL as database.

HTML/CSS will of course be the main tools for the front end.

The above scenarios are the most common set-ups, IMO.
    If you like C(++) you could also create a cgi-module.
    There are also other kind of databases than MS SQL and MySql.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Saitac

10 years ago I was a proficient programmer in C, HTML, and Visual Basic with a little C++, scripting, and java in there. Now I'm extremely rusty but am willing to put in the time to get back into it.
    I know few people who haven't touch C and VB for 7+ years, but it click back once they started working on projects using those languages.

I used CGI+C+MySQL in one of my projects years ago. Luckily, I had the liberty to choose what environment to use, and it work pretty well.

I would go with the experience.
  7. Contributing User

The kind of integration of database, web-browser and UI elements that you suggest does not really suggest a low level language such as C. It is not that C cannot do that - it can, but you will need to source appropriate third-party libraries to efficiently achieve the results you need and you would be better served (in terms of choice) perhaps by another language.

Scripting languages are ideally suited to the kind of "mash-up" integration you seem to be suggesting, and for web apps Javascript is probably especially appropriate (not that I am a web-app developer, so don't count that as an expert opinion).

The .NET framework is probably particularly suited (especially on Windows), and offers a choice of languages of which C# is the path of least resistance.
  9. No Profile Picture

Thanks all!!! A lot of great info. I'm leaning towards PHP+mySQL at this point. I haven't touched PHP in a while but I recall it got a lot of habits from C and Java, both of which I'm pretty comfortable with. I just pulled up some of my old C stuff and it definitely started to "click" again. C = bike //who knew....
  11. No Profile Picture

So I built a parser in PHP that runs through an excel spreadsheet with a flow chart of questions and feeds the initial multiple choice questions into an array. I now need to present those questions to the user, retain their answer, and loop through the next array of questions... I put a for loop inside my question tree and if I could just present the end user with the questions from that array and have them pick I could do the rest. I tried using an HTML form but it won't take inside the for loop? I'm very noob but I just want to get this part working.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo