1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Need a specific C++ book

I took AP Comp Sci 3 or 4 years ago in High School and I'd like to get back into C++ now that I know more about fundamentals of programming like OOP.

I think I can forego the basics, but I probably need to re-learn OOP, structs, pointers, templates and then everything after that is new. Also I'd like to get away from the fairly-useless text-based programs and move onto the useful stuff like GUIs as soon as possible. Maybe even one on Visual C++ if that's where this is headed.

Anyone know of a book or combination of books that meets all that?
  3. Contributing User

Beginning Visual C++ 6 covers C++ and Visual C++ 6 (i.e., MFC & Windows programming). If you want an all-in-one book, this is it.

Either buy that one, or get these two:

C++: The Complete Reference 3rd Edition is a great book. It covers general C and C++ from the ground up, and it gives a beginning overview of STL. It does not cover GUI programming.

Programming Windows with MFC covers MFC programming thoroughly. Combined with the above book, you have the tools to make you into a very competent, if not expert, C++/MFC programmer.

If you want to program GUIs on a platform other than Windows, sorry, I can't help you there.
    Jon Sagara

"Me fail English? That's unpossible!"
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Beginning Visual C++ 6 covers C++ and Visual C++ 6 (i.e., MFC & Windows programming). If you want an all-in-one book, this is it.
    Got that one today. Thanks.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo