1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Using Newton's method to compute square root of a value

In this project, I am trying to create a program which would equate the square root of a provided positive integer using Newton's method. A screenshot to how this is done is attached to this post.
    x is the provided input, and y has an initial arbitrary value of 1. The program is supposed to terminate when the difference between the old value of y and the new value of y is less than the product of 0.00001 and y. Here's the code I have written:
    Code:
    #include <stdio.h>
    #include <math.h>

int main(void)
    {
    	int x;
    	double y = 1, evaluation;

printf("Enter a positive number: ");
    	scanf("%d", &x);

do	{
    	evaluation = ((y + (x / y)) / 2);
    	y = evaluation;
    	} while (evaluation > (0.00001 * y));

printf("\nSquare root: %lf", fabs(y));

return 0;
    }
    But when executed, the program simply freezes after entering the input. The cursor drops to a new line and just keeps blinking. What am I doing wrong here?
    Attached Images
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Rather than explain you problem at once, I prefer to offer you debugging your program. This is quite important skill :)

Or at least insert another printf inside the loop, printing out current values of variables. I think this will give you a hint.

Funny enough, I added similar task to my website only two days ago:

Square Root at http://codeabbey.com

Though perhaps some hint could be necessary. Check your loop exiting condition very thoroughly.

And get rid of "evaluation" variable since you assign it to y again.

Really, think twice over this strange idea the new value of y is less than the product of 0.00001 and y - could it really happen in your code?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo