1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Just got VC++ .net standard 2003....

My question, is standard the same as student/intro editions? Becuase I used to have a version of VC++ 6.0 that came bundled with a teach yourself programming package but the program wouldnt let me make programs stand alone so that i could give it to a friend or something.. If they wanted to use it they'd have to compile my code every time and so did i..

Is the standard edition of VC++.net the same? Should I have gotten profesional?

I'm just learning C++ so am not sure what all the information about the programs are so it's hard for me to tell the benifits and abilities.

Any help is appriciated,

thanks.
  3. not a fan of fascism (n00b)
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

well im not sure exactly what the standard edition does, but i do know the professional costs like $999,454,343.34. if you said your just learning then it probably wont make much of difference except for as you mentioned with giving friends .exe's. if you want the pro edition and dont feel like spending your life's savings hit me with a PM and i'll upload to an ftp somewhere for u.
  5. jasondoucette.com
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I pretty much asked the same question here:
    http://www.codeguru.com/forum/showth...hreadid=259734

Their response was: "Yes you can release your app with the standard. The one that forbids that is the educational version. However, the professional version comes with a better optimizer."

I have used VC++ 6.0 Standard, which allows for releasing of applications to others, so this makes sense.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo