1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Where do I go now?

Hey fellows,

I was just wondering where do I go now? I mean, I know the basics of C/C++ uptill inheritance, function and operator overloading and stuff. But all of this in DOS. I mean console based stuff. SO I know nothing about doing program for windows... so what do I do next?

I wanted to be able to develop proper windows applications like say, a complicated editor with syntax highlighting and all. What should I do?

Thanks in advance.
  3. Cast down

I think you should still stick to console app's and do like, sorts/storage (binary trees, linked lists, AVL trees).

If you want to do win32, youll need to learn about API, here:
    http://www.winprog.org/tutorial/
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks.... looking into it.

What is sorts and storage?
  7. onCsdfeu

Sorting : putting a set of data in order.
    E.g.: putting integers in increasing order.

Say you have an array of ints:
    Code:
    int somearray = [1,54,3,12]
    which is obviously not in ascending order... there are all sorts of sorting algorithms : bubblesort, mergesort, quicksort, etc. Learning those IS a must for any programmer, whatever the language you're using. You can find C++ examples of sorting with code here
    Data structures/storage : sometimes, good ol' array is not efficient.
    E.g. : You have a set of employees. You're looking for the one named "John Smith".

With your standard array, you'd have to look for Mr. Smith starting from first entry unitl you find it. HIGHLY inefficient.

Depending on the situation, you might want to use linked lists, hash tables, or of the different types of trees. This is a must, too, to any programmer.
    Last edited by SolarBear; July 27th, 2003 at 12:49 PM.
    Time is the greatest of teachers ; sadly, it kills all of its students.
    - Hector Berlioz
  9. No Profile Picture

Good sources to learn this?
  11. jasondoucette.com

Re: Where do I go now?

You need to learn the Win32 API, and the best way to learn this is the classic Programming Windows, 5th Edition by Charles Petzold. Highly recommended.
  13. /(bb|[^b]{2})/

You will also need to continue learning C++ to get a good understanding of all of the items that you listed that you do not know yet. All of these are used in win32 gui programming. especially with mfc.
  15. jasondoucette.com

Technically, the Win32 API was written in C, and therefore you needn't understand anything about C++ to program in it. Charles Petzold's book actually teaches it solely in C. However, you will not regret learning more about C++. Even though I normally program mostly in C, I still use a C++ compiler to allow for all of the extensions of that language, even though I stay away from OOP unless it happens to be a better solution to my problem. So, I mix them together - there's no reason to program solely in one and not the other - use the best tool for the job. I do, however, recommend staying AWAY from MFC until you have a good foundation in the Win32 API.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally posted by Myth_Pharoah
    Good sources to learn this?
    There are a couple that I recommend. Chapter 6 of Kernighan & Ritchie actually covers all of the most common data structures very quickly. It's not a trivial subject though, and the material of that chapter is usually a full semester course at college.

The other source that I like a lot is Mastering Algorithms in C by Kyle Louden. It's full of code examples and is generally useful.

If you're looking for C++ specific things, check out Stroustroupe's book The C++ Programming Language: Special Edition. It's not so much with the structures and algorithms, but it has an excellent discussion of the Standard Template Library, which already implements most of the common structures and algorithms that you'll need.
    Clay Dowling
    Lazarus Notes
    Articles and commentary on web development
    http://www.lazarusid.com/notes/
  19. No Profile Picture

Thanks you guys. This has all been a great help!
    I'm going with the Win32API now. Later when I've had enough of it, I'll go back to the sort and storages.

Thanks!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo