1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Making a windows database app

Hello

I am just interested in making a windows app...I would like it to have a database backend...

I would like some advice on which programming environment i should use? I like Delphi and Visual Basic...Visual C++

I just want to know what possible database backends i could use? Could i use MySql or would i need Oracle or Sybase...

Am very new to Windows Programming and would appericate any help...

Cheers
  3. Big Endian
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

The language you use is a personal preference. Quality database applications can be developed with each of the languages you mentioned. Use the one you are most proficient with.

The database is usually chosen based on scalability (the number of users and amount of data), cost, features and the target platform.

For example, free Windows databases would be Access, MSDE and MySQL.

Free Linux databases would be MySQL, Postgresql and Sybase 11.0.3.

The commercial databases cost money. Microsoft SQL Server only runs on Windows. Oracle, DB2 and Sybase run on multiple platforms. Which one is the best usually turns into a religous argument. I've used all four and they're all good.

If you want specific advice, you would need to give specific criteria about what the application does, how big it will be, who will use it and what your budget is.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

since when is access free? ;)

besides this, 100% agreed...

if you are using delphi, you can also use the borland bde that comes with it. (for small projects, not server-based)
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

well as i want to make a windows app i thought making it in PHP is a bit of a waste as people could just copy the code and wouldnt need me for addtional modules etc...

I would like something that can be compiled and made as a self running EXE or COM...

I wanna make a small app to being with as i have never made a Windows app apart from a VB app in Visual Basic 5 ages ago...

I am quite comfortable with PHP so anything that has simular syntax/structure to php...

is there anything free i can play about with...like a Visual C++ prog or anything...

so just to confirm...i can use MySql with C++ and delphi? do these languages support Mysql in windows?

Cheers
  9. Big Endian
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

since when is access free?
    Free to redistribute. No ongoing license issues (like with Oracle, SQL Server, etc.). M. Hirsch is correct: Microsoft and "free" don't go together often.

is there anything free i can play about with...like a Visual C++ prog or anything...
    When you want to build a commercial application with forms and controls that compiles into a .exe, most of the time you're going to have to spend some money on development tools. I've never used a free tool to develop a commercial application so I can't give any advice on their capabilities (Java? Python?). You might want to consider getting a personal copy of Delphi ($99) or C++ Builder ($69) to develop something. Later you could upgrade to the high dollar Professional or Enterprise versions. On eBay, I've seen shrink wrapped registerable versions of C++ Builder Professional sell for a few hundred dollars.

i can use MySql with C++ and delphi? do these languages support Mysql in windows?
    Yes. You could use ODBC to connect to the database and get the data into your program. With C++ you could also use the MySQL API.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thats great advice dcaillouet, A friend also told me to get a copy of Delphi...great minds think alike...well dont know if ebay ship to the United Kingdom but ill go have a see at the site someday...

CHeers!
  13. No Profile Picture

Flat file database sample?

I am very much interested in doing the same thing, but am a novice at c++. I am looking for a good working example of a program that simple uses a flat file database, so that connectivity to an external database isn't an issue.

I am using Dev-C++ as an environment. Probably not the best to use for a beginner, but I wanted to get away from having to buy a Microsoft product like Visual C++ to get me through something that seems simple to do (and Dev-C++ seems perfect for small projects).

So, does anyone know a good example of writing and reading from a flat file database?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo