1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Windows Netatalk Port

Hi,

I have been looking for ways to backup an OS X Lion or Mountain Lion mac to a windows based server using time machine.

Most of the solutions currently available seem to rely on using a linux virtual machine running on windows running the opensource netatalk to communicate with OS X using the AFP (Apple Filing Protocol).

I am a programmer with experience using with the Win32 SDK and MFC, C, C++, C sharp, Objective C, and Java. However I don't have very much knowledge of AFP/netatalk.

I wanted to start a discussion as to whether the netatalk project could be to windows via an opensource project and what the main obsticles would be?

I would be willing to contribute to and/or manage such a project but I don't want to start without knowing if there are any major stumbling blocks that I have missed.

Also if anybody can recommend any background reading (apart from the netatalk wiki) before starting that would also be useful?

Thanks,

Ben
  3. No Profile Picture

Hi Ben!

I'm lucky reading your post because I'm searching for exact that solution but couldn't find anything useful.

But I'm no programmer so I don't know how to help you.
    Let me know if I can do something to make it easier for you finding the solution.

I hope you will keep us informed about the progress.

Greets, Sebastian
  5. No Profile Picture

Just go to windows server 2008 specifications and read out the OSX lion.

Comments on this post

• salem disagrees : 5 1-line posts in 10 minutes - you sound like a troll

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo