1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Windows XP and Sockets

I have some old client/server code from a networking class I took a while ago which just opens sockets and has the client connect to the server while both are running on the localhost. This works great on Linux, but I brought it over to my WindowsXP box and tried running it but the client never connects (although the server does appear to be listening on it's port). I'm behind a Linksys Router with NAT, but the address is local so it shouldn't matter (shouldn't it?). Is there something different I have to do for XP to get the sockets working? Is this different from what I need to do for other flavors of windows? Are there any code examples out there?

Thanks,
    Bill
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Stupid question:
    Did you convert the program over to using Winsock?

This PDF file, "Transitioning from UNIX to Windows Socket Programming" at http://cs.baylor.edu/~donahoo/practi...owsSockets.pdf will show you how to do that conversion, plus how to create a console app with Visual C++.

BTW, in another recent thread, someone was having problems with XP not running a sockets program that runs on Win2k and NT. I suggested requesting Winsock v2.0, but we haven't gotten any feedback whether that fixed it or not.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

full raw sockets in XP

Not a stupid question at all- that's where I'm confused. I thought the fact that Windows XP had full raw sockets meant that winsock was now not necessary- I think I inferred that from something I read on a webpage but now I will look at the pdf you mention.

Thanks,
    Bill

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo