1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

worth reading assembly books not for ppc, to learn ppc assembly?

i've been contemplating the idea of assembly on and off for sometime. someone pointed to a pdf book on here just recently which looks quite good. started to read it and i like the way it's written from the small part i've seen so far. very understandable.

thing is i'm on a mac which is powerpc and only plan to do code for that. is there any point in me reading that book? it's about 80x86 processor which is ibm pc i think :/ not sure. *i know* assembly varies from processor to processor but by how much? (i know next to nothing about assembly right now). i know i'm not going to get all i need for ppc from that book: without question i'll have to go somewhere else for powerpc specific things. but my question is: would i need to forget / unlearn (or at least ignore) too much of that book to make it worthwhile me reading (and spending a lot of time on)? so basically how different is assembly 80x86 and ppc? i know that's slightly a how long's a piece of string question, but there you go.

i've also got a book out from the library called "ibm pc assemebly language and programming" by peter abel, publisher prentice hall (c)1998. haven't started reading it at all yet, and just glancing at it can't really work out which processor it's for - it's not immediately obvious which one, apart from 'ibm pc', obviously. any point in me reading that? (i've got loads to read at the moment, so i don't want to read something just because it might be just a little bit useful)

i've also spent quite a bit of money on books recently and really don't want to spend any more, but will do if the 2 mentioned books really are not good at all for powerpc.
  3. Big Endian
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Here's a 680-page IBM .pdf on PowerPC assembly language:
    http://www-3.ibm.com/chips/techlib/t...25699600719DF2

Tons of PowerPC documentation for each chip:
    http://www-3.ibm.com/chips/products/powerpc/

Mac OS X Assembler guide:
    http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/...emblerTOC.html

Another useful book might be IBM's compiler writers guide for PowerPC. Its purpose is to help people who write and optimize compilers but all the examples are in assembler so it might be useful:
    http://www-3.ibm.com/chips/techlib/t...256996007558C6
  5. No Profile Picture

well thanks, that's great. i have got a number of those documents already, but not all - thanks. do you think that taking in 80x86 processor related info would be not so useful? it's just that that particular 80x86 book looked very understandable to me.
  7. Big Endian
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Many years ago, I took a class in IBM 370 assembler and then the next year I took 8088 assembler (I would show up for class with two 5.25" floppies: one with the OS to boot from and the other with my programs :D). I found out that knowing one assembler made it easier for me to understand the second. The syntax wasn't identical but the program flow and thought process was.

Yes, I think other good assembler books could help. You could treat the code in the x86 books as a pseudo-code algorithm that needs to be tweaked to run on a PowerPC.
  9. No Profile Picture

that's what i was thinking and hoping. great. thanks v. much for the info.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo