1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

[Assembly] Learning Recommendations - Books?

Hey.
    I don't really wanna piece together all the fragmented tutorials on the internet and in doing do burn the hell out of my eyes from the hours of reading, so I was looking for some recommendations on books.

I saw and was interested in:
    Assembly Language Step by Step Programming with Linux by Jeff Duntemann
    or
    Professional Assembly Language by Richard Blum

Unfortunately where I live, I don't have the opportunity to check these books out, nor talk to anyone with any experience in programming, so I have to order these materials online, and as you can imagine, it becomes very costly, especially considering this is not my only hobby.

As always, I'm looking for a thorough understanding of the concepts, good practice, and don't want to deal with a lot of fluff.

If you learned assembly with a book and would recommend it to someone wanting to learn x86 with Linux (and later Windows), have an opinion on the books I've mentioned, or learned assembly by any other means other than school, I'm all ears.

Thank you if you are willing to help.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hmmm

Also take a look at Programming from the ground up An introduction to programming using linux Assembly Language By Johnathan Bartlett it is good starting off the first 4 chapters anyways then goes into alot of complex assembly programming but gives alot info on the registers and gives some useful references to some of the important system calls in the appendix towards the back of the book you can view this online. Keep in mind the two types of assemblers which is AT&T or the Intel. Programming from the ground up by Johnathan Bartlett and Professional Assembly Language by Richard Blum both describe AT&T style assembly whereas Assembly Language Step By Step by Jeff Duntemann describes using intel assembly and using the kate editor, the differences being this mov eax, 1 (Intel, style) means the same exit system call as movl $1, %eax (AT&T, style) it's hard to say outright which is good because all the books mentioned here are useful and depends on the editor you perfer. Also keep in mind Professional Assembly Language by Richard Blum is not an introduction to assembly but can be used as a guide. Good Luck with this

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo