1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How to build an app that can read text and images using a camera?

I am working on an iOS application and I need to find some information about building an app that can read text and images using the camera. I am looking for good resources that either have tutorials for doing something like this or any answers that could help mentor this type of process. I also need to know how things are captured using the camera.
  3. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Capturing the image from the camera is most likely incredibly simple.

Processing an image and doing optical character recognition and image analysis is significantly more difficult. You can look at existing open-source OCR libraries, but unfortunately most of the people who have figured this out simply decided to make loads of money off it rather than share the secret with others.

Look for image processing, OCR, facial recognition, any topic like that should have some scholarly work on the subject. It's VERY advanced computer science and it's doubtful you (or any random person) will get it working properly.

What are you trying to accomplish with this app?
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

RE: How to build an app that can read text and images using a camera?

What ManiacDan said is true. OCRing an image taken using a phone or tablet will probably need some processing to improve its quality before OCRing to get the best quality. Most open-source OCR engines perform less than commercial ones which is the normal conclusion.
    I used an engine from a library called leadtools in my Android app that I was quite happy with. I started by testing their OCR demo.

I seem to remember that they also have iOS engine. Maybe you can find an app on the Apple store and try it out.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo