Thread: Cobol demand?

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Cobol demand?

I have heard that although cobol is slowly dwindling in use, the attrition of programmers is going faster than the decline of cobol so that there might actually be more demand for cobol programmers than for many of the more popular languages.

But does anyone out there program in Cobol who can tell me if I'm right about the market?

Also, do you want an apprentice?
  3. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by sakalava47
    I have heard that although cobol is slowly dwindling in use, the attrition of programmers is going faster than the decline of cobol so that there might actually be more demand for cobol programmers than for many of the more popular languages.

But does anyone out there program in Cobol who can tell me if I'm right about the market?

Also, do you want an apprentice?
    That may be true in the short term, but if you plan to be programming say, 10 years from now, you don't want to only have cobol experience in your cv. 20 years, 30 years, it'll only get worse.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I worked for a large financial institution a few years back, and they had tons of COBOL code for their backend reporting systems, so it was highly in demand there. However, they are now in the process of scrapping it all completely in favor of an Object-Oriented system that is easier and cleaner to maintain (as well as being more up-to-date). I imagine other companies are doing the same.

That being said, you can probably find a job with it somewhere, but I agree with the other post; the more time that passes, the more difficult it will probably be. I'd definitely beef up your toolkit with other languages if possible.
  7. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

There's very few blacksmiths capable of hand-crafting horse shoes, but there's still a small demand for hand-crafted horse shoes for thoroughbred race horses. The attrition of blacksmiths has recently outpaced the decline in thoroughbred horse breeding. Should I take advantage of this and spend a few years of my life learning to hand-craft horse shoes?

Comments on this post

• requinix agrees : yes. yes you should
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo