1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Component Pascal, investigating it...

Good friends,

Anyone uses or is quite familiar with Component Pascal, is it recommended, meaning getting serious into it?

Thanks already.
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

This is just my opinion, but if you're going to use anything Pascal related just use FreePascal.
  5. Hello World :)
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by †Yegg†
    This is just my opinion, but if you're going to use anything Pascal related just use FreePascal.
    I've never used Pascal but I haven't heard good things about it. Why would you recommend using Pascal outside of an educational environment to someone unfamiliar with the language?

Maybe I'll pick it up ,

Mark
    programming language development: www.netytan.com Hula

7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by †Yegg†
    Hi Yegg,

Well, from what so far have gathered:

1. It is not actually "Pascal" but only uses the name as a respect to its ancestor.

2. It is, like Pascal, a child of Nicolas Wirth.

3. It is beyond the Object model of programming.

4. It is very capable, yet not as difficult to learn and use as Java.

5. There are two implementations currently (both free).

6. On such is called Black Box from Wirth and his associate, which I have already downloaded for free and am not quite finished reading the documentation.

Am hoping to hear from some who have actually used it, but welcome and appreciate all suggestions.
  9. No Profile Picture

Good friends,

Here's more info:
    Gardens Point Component Pascal, a free open-source compiler from Queensland University of Technology. The compiler generates code for Microsoft's .NET framework and Sun's Java Virtual Machine. The language is nearly identical to Oberon-2, which is Niklaus Wirth's follow on language to Pascal and Modula-2.

To learn more about this compiler, visit this page at Queensland University of Technology. Also, visit CFB Software's Component Pascal page.

The BlackBox of Oberon Microsystems (Niklaus Wirth), Oberon Blackbox for Windows can be downloaded at the below link:

http://www.oberon.ch/blackbox.html

And, this is a good starting place:

http://www.cetus-links.org/oo_oberon.html

There's also a Yahoo Group which am planning to look into too.
  11. Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Originally Posted by netytan
    I've never used Pascal but I haven't heard good things about it. Why would you recommend using Pascal outside of an educational environment to someone unfamiliar with the language?

Maybe I'll pick it up ,

Mark
    Maybe at one time Pascal was "just for learning". But there are people who do you use it for real softwares. I remember seeing some graphical image designing software which supported 8 operating systems and was written entirely in FreePascal.

Why would the FreePascal developers continue to make their software more powerful if no one was using it?

It seems that there are qutie a few people who use Delphi, and FreePascal aims to be completely compatible with Delphi as well as other Pascal implementations. So, considering Delphi also as Pascal, it adds onto the list of programmers who do use Pascal for purposes other than education.
    Last edited by †Yegg†; April 11th, 2006 at 07:08 PM.
  13. Banned ;)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    Delphi does use Object Pascal and makes heavy use of "components" . IMHO it is arguably one of the best RAD tools out there for Windows development (and Kylix for Linux) and definitely kicks VB in the features and speed department.
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo
  15. Hello World :)
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

It looks interesting, though really not very pretty from my initial investigation. Will keep looking, I'm sure there's much to learn there. Just out of interest scorpi, is "components" a technical term or does it mean just that .

I'll agree with the statement about VB; In my experience it doesn't get much worse. Someone once mentioned VB in the same context as brain damage. I think that says something .

Thanks guys,

Mark.
    programming language development: www.netytan.com Hula

17. No Profile Picture

component paskal

HI,

Does anyone know the language "component paskal"?
    and How to use read / write files?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo