1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Enabling REPL and Slime in Emacs

I am setting up emacs to use SBCL and slime to program lisp. I can't quite get my .macs set up correctly. I have it set up and slime working well but I cannot access REPL from Emacs C-c C-z it says Lisp not available.

So SBCL as itself must not be linked to emacs to use.

This is my .macs directory
    ;; .emacs ;;; uncomment this line to disable loading of "default.el" at startup ;; (setq inhibit-default-init t) ;; turn on font-lock mode (when (fboundp 'global-font-lock-mode) (global-font-lock-mode t)) ;; enable visual feedback on selections ;(setq transient-mark-mode t) ;; default to better frame titles (setq frame-title-format (concat "%b - emacs@" (system-name))) ;; default to unified diffs (setq diff-switches "-u") ;; always end a file with a newline ;(setq require-final-newline 'query) (setq inferior-lisp-program "sbcl") (require 'slime) (slime-setup) (setq load-path (cons "/usr/local/acl80_express/eli" load-path)) (load "fi-site-init")
    After some reading I tried adding this to my emacs to enabl SBCL REPL.
    ;;; The following is for Lisp ;;; The SBCL binary and command line arguments (require 'inf-lisp) (setq inferior-lisp-program ''/usr/local/bin/sbcl --noinform'')
    But this doesn't work I receive an error
    An error has occurred while loading home/flebber/.emacs Invalid read Syntax : ")"
    Any ideas how to allow to configure sbcl for .emacs ?

PS As an aside I also in response to another post have installed "gcl". If this is easier to setup for REPL and slime, I am interested.
    Last edited by flebber; August 9th, 2006 at 10:50 AM. Reason: extra info
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by flebber
    I am setting up emacs to use SBCL and slime to program lisp. I can't quite get my .macs set up correctly. I have it set up and slime working well but I cannot access REPL from Emacs C-c C-z it says Lisp not available.

So SBCL as itself must not be linked to emacs to use.

This is my .macs directory

After some reading I tried adding this to my emacs to enabl SBCL REPL. But this doesn't work I receive an error

Any ideas how to allow to configure sbcl for .emacs ?

PS As an aside I also in response to another post have installed "gcl". If this is easier to setup for REPL and slime, I am interested.
    the minimum you need is
    lisp Code:

(setq inferior-lisp-program "/path/to/sbcl")
    (add-to-list 'load-path "/path/to/slime")
    (require 'slime)
    (slime-setup)

then start slime with M-x slime

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo