1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Game programming language?

What programming language could i use to make a simple game, is there a specific language recomended is to use. Basicly i need to create a simple video game which is similar to Mavis Beacon a typeing tutor game like the user types the text appearing on the screen to get an out of the game. And also how can i go along in creating such a game im a freshly to game creation. I have done a basic course on VB6, Java using BlueJ.

Thank you.
  3. Periodically energetic Perler
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Hi there

As such there is no recommended language for starting in game development. It would really depend on the type of game you were trying to write. You mention the Mavis beacon typing game (i presume it comes with MB typing tutor or whatever its called). You could do this in VB (as your familiar with VB already). If you want it to work from windows to linux then stick with Java (as you know some Java).

If you want to get into commercial game development then C++/.net will probably what you will eventually get into. Java will give you an insight about C++ (both heavilly object oriented languages).

In general, have a look at the sticky for the Game Development forum, theres lots of good links to different resources there. Also when you start if you run into a problem with your code post it to the game dev forum and someone will try and help.

Hope this helps
    Displeaser
    Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Game Programming Language

Just a fun little tip, the first Nintendo Cartridge games were actually written in Assembly language. Though, I wouldn't recommend Assembly to any beginner strike that... anybody.

Originally Posted by Newbie1985
    What programming language could i use to make a simple game, is there a specific language recomended is to use. Basicly i need to create a simple video game which is similar to Mavis Beacon a typeing tutor game like the user types the text appearing on the screen to get an out of the game. And also how can i go along in creating such a game im a freshly to game creation. I have done a basic course on VB6, Java using BlueJ.

Thank you.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo