1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Help:the best programming language for client server application(connected to EXCEL

I wanna build a Client/server application, in Local Network for office about 30 clients.
    Here is the scenario (for now only 3 clients for example):
    There are 3 computer clients having their own data ,say :
    ClientA – has data A.xlsx,
    ClientB – has data B.xlsx,
    ClientC – has data C.xlsx),
    and those data A,B,C have relationship to any other.

And also I want to add some enhancement to the application-excel such :

ENHANCEMENT 1 – data update automation
    When Client A is updating its own data (data A.xlsx),
    the data B.xlsx and dataC.xlsx are automatically updated .
    When Client B is updating its own data (dataB.xlsx),
    the data A.xlsx and dataC.xlsx are automatically updated .
    also when Client C is updating its own data (dataC.xlsx),
    the data A.xlsx and dataB.xlsx are automatically updated.

ENHANCEMENT2 – data permissioning
    Client A are allowed to WRITE dataA.xlsx, but READ-ONLY (and querying is also allowed)to dataB.xlsx and dataC.xlsx
    ClientB are allowed to WRITE dataB.xlsx, but READ-ONLY (and querying is also allowed)to dataA.xlsx and dataC.xlsx
    Client C are allowed to WRITE dataC.xlsx, but READ-ONLY (and querying is also allowed)to dataA.xlsx and dataB.xlsx

QUESTION :
    1. I want to use EXCEL as the database storage. (is it possible ? ) – I hope it’s possible – if not, the solution please.
    2. What is the best programming language for such case ? (considering the reliability, scalability, high performance). Many people give an advice to use PHP for such case, any advice ?
    3. Any other advice or comment ?

Full thanks . . . .
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by oliverfjg
    I wanna build a Client/server application, in Local Network for office about 30 clients.
    Here is the scenario (for now only 3 clients for example):
    There are 3 computer clients having their own data ,say :
    ClientA – has data A.xlsx,
    ClientB – has data B.xlsx,
    ClientC – has data C.xlsx),
    and those data A,B,C have relationship to any other.

And also I want to add some enhancement to the application-excel such :

ENHANCEMENT 1 – data update automation
    When Client A is updating its own data (data A.xlsx),
    the data B.xlsx and dataC.xlsx are automatically updated .
    When Client B is updating its own data (dataB.xlsx),
    the data A.xlsx and dataC.xlsx are automatically updated .
    also when Client C is updating its own data (dataC.xlsx),
    the data A.xlsx and dataB.xlsx are automatically updated.

ENHANCEMENT2 – data permissioning
    Client A are allowed to WRITE dataA.xlsx, but READ-ONLY (and querying is also allowed)to dataB.xlsx and dataC.xlsx
    ClientB are allowed to WRITE dataB.xlsx, but READ-ONLY (and querying is also allowed)to dataA.xlsx and dataC.xlsx
    Client C are allowed to WRITE dataC.xlsx, but READ-ONLY (and querying is also allowed)to dataA.xlsx and dataB.xlsx

QUESTION :
    1. I want to use EXCEL as the database storage. (is it possible ? ) – I hope it’s possible – if not, the solution please.
    2. What is the best programming language for such case ? (considering the reliability, scalability, high performance). Many people give an advice to use PHP for such case, any advice ?
    3. Any other advice or comment ?

Full thanks . . . .
    your choice of database container is not good for the system you have outlined.

the main reasons are the ability for each user(client) to make changes out of turn and when they save their data back into the data set they wipe out changes made by the first client.

you need a multi client accessible data set with all the "mutex" (mutual exclusion) and semaphores (resource availability) that make for safe data manipulation... you need to all access the same data set and manipulate it with respect for the other clients.

consider changing a value on the nextline of a database ( adding a line... id a and b both access the data set at the same time the line each is working on may actually be the same physical line in the database so when a adds a line b writes over the top of it or even deletes it.

use a database... they are much more reliable in these multi-client situations

here to help

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo