Results: What languages do you know well? 

Voters
209 You may not vote on this poll

• C
    94  44.98%
  • C++
    97  46.41%
  • C#
    45  21.53%
  • Perl
    38  18.18%
  • Python
    53  25.36%
  • PHP
    119  56.94%
  • Lisp
    15  7.18%
  • Scheme
    8  3.83%
  • Assembler ( any variant )
    53  25.36%
  • Java
    93  44.50%
  • ASP
    24  11.48%
  • .NET
    34  16.27%
  • Visual Basic
    71  33.97%
  • Cold Fusion
    7  3.35%
  • Delphi
    19  9.09%
  • Ruby
    21  10.05%
  • Fortran
    14  6.70%
  • MatLab
    13  6.22%
  • Javascript
    95  45.45%
  • Tyle
    3  1.44%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 7 First ... 23456 ... Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by crownjewel82
    Ok. It is. ASP or rather vbscript is syntactically similar to VB just as JavaScript is syntactically similar to Java. I still don't get what your problem with the statement is.
    ASP is a serverside scripting technology within which vbscript is normally used for flow control, logic, etc etc. ASP isn't syntactically similar to VB, though it could be said to have a relation with it since the scripting language associated with it (VBScript) is, loosely speaking, a subset of VB.

Javascript has no relation whatever to Java and although Netscape had a model for using it on the server side with their webserver, it's used on the client-side in webpages. Parts of it are superficially similar to java, but it works on a completely different model - it's interpreted, dynamically & loosely typed, Java is compiled and statically and strongly typed. (What's more, it's not necessarily simpler either - read the code behind the prototype or google AJAX libs etc.)

So your remark made no sense to me. I can just about follow you if you wanted to make a point about the relative complexity of ASP & VB as Adrastea0413 said, but even then a webapp written in "ASP" (which as we know, isn't one thing) can be arbitrarily complex and something written in VB could be arbitrarily simple...

None of this is very important of course, and I feel like I've butted into your conversation about beauty in the art of programming. Please forgive me
  3. No Profile Picture
    rebel with a cause
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

Forgive me for being blunt but do you know what the word syntax means?

Originally Posted by wikipedia
    ...the set of allowed reserved words and their parameters and the correct word order in the expression is called the syntax of language.
    Therefore two languages being syntactically similar would mean that they just look similar. It has nothing to do with what they do or how they are used.

Another example. C++ and Java are syntactically similar.

For further reference:
    Variable declarations in vb and vbscript both use the dim keyword
    return means the same thing in java as it does in javascript.
    Those are syntactic similarities.

So again. I still don't get your problem with the statement.
    Dear God. What is it like in your funny little brains? It must be so boring.
  5. Back after 2 years!
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Originally Posted by jamieB
    Javascript has no relation whatever to Java
    Yes it does:

Both are based on the C syntax.
    Both have the word "Java" in their name.
    Both are trademarks of Sun.

So, they do have some relation...
    Last edited by Adrastea0413; May 5th, 2006 at 01:41 PM.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by crownjewel82
    Forgive me for being blunt but do you know what the word syntax means?

Therefore two languages being syntactically similar would mean that they just look similar. It has nothing to do with what they do or how they are used.

Another example. C++ and Java are syntactically similar.

For further reference:
    Variable declarations in vb and vbscript both use the dim keyword
    return means the same thing in java as it does in javascript.
    Those are syntactic similarities.

So again. I still don't get your problem with the statement.
    well, if you had qualified your remarks as being about syntax only and said VBScript instead of ASP I wouldn't have thought anything of it. Sorry if I sound pedantic, just momentarily staggered by what you wrote.

(Actually return has significantly different meanings in Java and Javascript, due to the fact that all Java methods have a return type, whereas return statements in a javascript function could appear anywhere and return an object of any type, including null... I'll shut up now)
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Adrastea0413
    Yes it does:

Both are based on the C syntax.
    Both have the word "Java" in their name.
    Both are trademarks of Sun.

Hum. You got me. I've got another one - the first implementation of Javascript was written in Lisp and Guy Steele, co-author of Scheme, worked on Java! I've got another one, they're both programming languages! I've got another one...erm, no I haven't. But I'm sure there are lots more!
  11. fork while true;

Actually, I hate to piss on your bonfire, but ASP _does_ use vbscript.

Well, it can use javascript, but mostly people use vbscript.

As for the good programmer/program thing, i have to agree with mark. Programs should be simple to use, yet have the capability to unlock extra power where necessary (preferably with an 'advanced' mode). But it's not just the user side, it's the programmer side.

What good is a usable program that crashes all the time? Not very. How do we prevent it from crashing? We design our program very carefully and test each unit on it's own, and then together. We produce _clean_, _readable_, _maintainable_ code, with plenty of functions or classes that do exactly what we want with a minimum of fuss. If it's simple to the programmer, it is more likely to be simple to the user, and you'll dig out the bugs a lot quicker. Microsoft has > 60 million lines of code in the windows kernel. At the same time, I've seen the standard of code posted on their site. At least in that code, they do things that deviate from 'proper' practice (such as declaring main() to be void) and don't make code that is elegant or maintainable. Now, i'm not saying windows is done the same way, but if it is, a project of that size is unmaintainable with that sort of code. If it's not parcelled up into logical modules and you don't know quite what does what, how are you to fix bugs or even just add on to it? Maintainable code is critical. People often sacrifice code size or runtime speed for practice, and there's a good reason for doing so. What good is a program that runs fast but crashes every 15 minutes?

And the number one enemy of maintainable code is squiggle-v/ctrl-v. Don't do it, ever.
  13. No Profile Picture
    rebel with a cause

well, if you had qualified your remarks as being about syntax only and said VBScript instead of ASP I wouldn't have thought anything of it.
    I did. You even quoted me.
    ASP or rather vbscript is syntactically similar to VB just as JavaScript is syntactically similar to Java.
    But you're right, originally I didn't include those statements because I was explaining why figuring out ASP in an interview wasn't a big deal. It wasn't a central issue to what I was saying. I figured that since ASP generally uses vbscript most people would understand the analogy I was forming. That's really the only stretch I made. The rest of the analogy was perfectly valid, as anyone who's taken the SAT (before the recent changes) can tell you. I just figured that programmers experienced with one or the other would get how they were similar.
    Dear God. What is it like in your funny little brains? It must be so boring.
  15. Arcane Scribbler
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Originally Posted by jamieB
    Hum. You got me. I've got another one - the first implementation of Javascript was written in Lisp and Guy Steele, co-author of Scheme, worked on Java! I've got another one, they're both programming languages! I've got another one...erm, no I haven't. But I'm sure there are lots more!
    The Kevin Bacon Game of programming languages.
    Joel B Fant
    "An element of conflict in any discussion is a very good thing. Shows everybody's taking part, nobody left out. I like that."

.NET Must-Haves
    Tools: Reflector
    References: Threading in .NET
  17. 'fie' on me, allege-dly
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by Adrastea0413
    Wouldn't be an aunty in Cleveland, would it ...
    --Ax
    without exception, there is no rule ...
    Handmade Irish Jewellery
    Targeted Advertising Cookie Optout (TACO) extension for Firefox
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    Detavil - the devil is in the detail, allegedly, and I use the term advisedly, allegedly ... oh, no, wait I did ...
    BIT COINS ANYONE
  19. No Profile Picture
    Turning coffee into code
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hey you left off LabVIEW
  21. No Profile Picture

Wow-- I'm the only one that knows FORTRAN? I grew up on f77 in a telnet session, and I'm only 26.
  23. fork while true;

Originally Posted by messickc
    Wow-- I'm the only one that knows FORTRAN? I grew up on f77 in a telnet session, and I'm only 26.
    There are some other FORTRANees, but since very few people use it nowadays, most people don't own up to it
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I've written significant amounts of code in Algol, APL, BASIC, COBOL, CICS macro, CICS command, FORTRAN, PL/I, SNOBOL, REXX as well as a pile of other scripting, shell, and macro languages which no longer exist (take heed, ye lovers of all things shiny and new, it doth indeed happen!) I've debugged and reengineered systems written in RPG and some other (thankfully shortlived) format-based "languages." I've written some C but I don't like it much. I really don't like any of the languages that seem to be based on the theory that everything is a loop (there, that ought to start some "friendly" discussion).

I'm sure I forgot to mention a few others that I've used and forgot about or used but never developed a deep understanding of.

My favorite has always been and is likely always to be assembler(S/360 - S/390). I was also pretty handy with S/390 object code for a few years when I had jobs where such a thing was relevant.

Comments on this post

• Adrastea0413 agrees : Awesome to see another CICS person here. I don't think I've encountered a single one on here. We are a rare breed.. lol
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by LinuxPenguin
    Yeah, but once you've mastered recursion (hey, it exists in C too) and you know the basics, it's really not all that hard to do other things.
    But in order to master recursion, first, one must master recursion.

Comments on this post

• LinuxPenguin agrees : I'm really not seeing it...
  29. 63 dorinte

Originally Posted by SimonGreenhill
    I thought I'd ask you all what languages you know ( where "know" means "can write a fairly complicated program in" and not "can hack something together when the docs are handy" )
    The only 'language' I know is ladder logic. You may laugh, but it is still widely used for machine controls and someone has to maintain it.

I am familiar enough with Perl and C to fumble my way through to get the job done (what job that is varies widely), but I cannot say that I have a mastery of either. I have learned a lot here at the 'Shed.

Ben N1NP
Page 4 of 7 First ... 23456 ... Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo