Thread: NSIS and Mcafee

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

NSIS and Mcafee

I have switched NSIS installer not long ago instead of installshield. However I have faced some problems with my Mcafee GW edition. It detects all programs that use nsis are as possible threats. Even official nsis installer is being detected as a BehavesLike.Win32.Downloader.tc

Is it just me or anyone else faced the same problem?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

First of all, I would say that you've posted in the wrong place. This section (as it says) is the other programming languages section that involves the Programming-Languages that do not have a specific section, for example, Assembly, Lisp, Scheme, COBOL, and other stuff. And that "other stuff" is definitely related to programming languages of course. If this post were about NSIS scripting or creating NSIS plugins then it would be a good fit but its about Antivirus and Computer-Security. This post should've been posted here: Antivirus Protection

But Anyway,

I do not use or trust McAfee antivirus for many reasons, since it used to detect my C programs as as win32.sality when I compiled with MingW GCC (sometimes even with Visual C++), it also removed my Windows Media Player (when I used windows) and many other vital system programs. Currently I use NPAV (indian-made antivirus) Professional editon for my Windows computers, linux PC's on the other hand, do not require an AV software.

NSIS (Nullsoft Scriptable Install System) is in no way a virus or a virus downloader (as your av software tells), since its open-source, you can analyse the code itself or see code-reviews given by experts (I don't think you would want to do that, since it'll be a pain in the as* to read the code just for security). If you've downloaded the software from the official site (sourceforge.net) then its not a matter of worry and there's a major chance that its a false positive but if you downloaded it from somewhere else or got it by someone else then it might be a problem.

Always properly look for the right place to post your thread otherwise it may end up in the wrong place, like this one.

I hope you understood what I meant.

Thanks.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo