1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Patching a Windows EXE

Hello Guys,

I have a little problem: I don't know anything about assembler... I ordered a book about Assembler today... but I can't wait until it arrives...

My problem is the following:

I hava a Win32 executable written in Delphi 5 (I don't have the source code). This exe puts a key into the registry everything it starts up, and I wanted to change the key value the program puts into the registry.

I downloaded Ollydbg and PE Explorer. With Ollydbg I disassembled the exe and live-patched the executable and everything worked perfectly (it was only one line, so although I don't understand anything of assembler yet, I could patch it with some logical thinking).

The problem is that I can't save any changes made with Ollydbg, so I used PE explorer to save the disassembled code into an .asm file and I patched this file again with my text editor... .

And now is my question:
    How can I recompile this .asm source file into a working exe again?

I really wouldn't know how to do that... is it even possible to do that? And I have an intel computer, if I can recompile the exe, will it still work on an AMD-computer?

Could somebody please explain me how I can make a working patched exe? Or is there another way to patch exe's?

Thank you very very much for the explanation!!!

Greetings,

Geoffrey
  3. fork while true;
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

you need an assembler. try the one off the intel site or masm or something.

gas won't work, however, different syntax.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo