12  60.00%
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Avid lithomancer
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by LinuxPenguin
    That's exactly what it does
    I'm not sure if programs <compiled> with py2exe can be sold then... I didn't read the Python's license.
  3. fork while true;
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

5. I fail at spelling
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

My vote is PHP. Why? Because it's easy to learn and uses the same principals to go into other languages such as C, C++, and countless others. Plus, you get a real time feedback if you are doing something right or wrong. (syntax errors and such) ... no need to compile, change, compile, change, ect ect ect.

Just simpler IMO,
    Chad
    I am working now with Symfony2, Twig, Doctrine, Composer, Assetic, and HTML5. Enjoying doing what I do everyday!
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi!

Originally Posted by LinuxPenguin
    Python is GPL, =yes.
    Not exactly GPL, see python licence (you may call this hair.split() ). The "yes" is ok

Regards, mawe
  9. Hello World :)
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Out of all the languages I've used I wish I'd started with Scheme or Common Lisp, but I realize most programmers won't get them without a bit of help.

That said Lisp is the multi-paradigm language, and it’s easy to learn. Scheme is taught as a first language in a lot of very good universities; the core language takes only one lecture to explain!

I would recommend Python or Ruby, but I'm inclined towards Ruby. I programmed in Python for over four years and since using Ruby (after playing with a number of other languages) I find it very hard to go back for any length of time.

Rubys' use of functional programming constructs is what puts it a head of Python for me – I’m using it as my main system-admin language but don't do many large pieces in it, for that I use Lisp .

Python just can't touch either of these from a language point of view. It’s simply terrible for things like DSL and meta-programming .

I would say the only reason to use Python over Ruby (from my point of view) is because of library support, but this can and will quickly change I think.

I’ve also been looking at Dylan and I like what I see there so I may I’ll be learning that soon too, being based on Lisp but with a more standard syntax is should be pretty fun. Maybe that would also be a good right language.

So, Scheme and or Ruby are my suggestion,

Mark.
    programming language development: www.netytan.com Hula

11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

What I learned first were:

VB, Java, PHP, Shell (BASH), Lisp (Emacs).

VB was in a high school class, and has been useless to me since then.

For a new programmer, I'd recommend learning Java first, and then PHP (an easy transition). Of course, my love of PHP is probably a product of living in an *nix world.
  13. I fail at spelling
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

I went:
    Basic, ASP (left), VB (left), PHP (Not leaving), C++, Java
    I am working now with Symfony2, Twig, Doctrine, Composer, Assetic, and HTML5. Enjoying doing what I do everyday!
  15. No Profile Picture
    rebel with a cause
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

I don't know about Java as a first language. It's easier to understand the object oriented and memory usage stuff if you already know some fundamentals. If you're going to go with a C-family language first I'd advise C or C++. The fact that they're mostly structured makes it easier for a beginner to learn how programs work.

I did, C, C++, Java, ColdFusion, started PHP, ASP, VB6, Python
    Dear God. What is it like in your funny little brains? It must be so boring.
  17. Hello World :)
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

If you're going to go down the OO route, and I imagine a lot of people here are, then you can't go wrong with Smalltalk. Smalltalk is an amazingly simple and powerful language; it still has features that are missing in other more modern languages.

Learning OO with Smalltalk will make you a better programmer, and give you a hell of an advantage with OO thinking.

Mark.
    programming language development: www.netytan.com Hula

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo