1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Simple program langauge

I'm planning on a career that includes video game programming, but I have no experience when it comes to actually programming the game. I've used things like "Game Maker" or "RPG Maker" but those are dumbed down for people like me to understand. I want to start programming for real, though. So I want to know where I should start.

Also, if you have something to say unrelated to the question, then please don't. I've had trouble with past questions where people try acting funny or give me a stupid answer that isn't really even an answer. Thank you.

[edit by Scorpions4ever]Nice try faking your signature. Please don't try that again[/edit]
    Last edited by Scorpions4ever; October 13th, 2011 at 05:07 PM.
  3. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

It would help if you could say what kind of games type you want to create.

One place to start could be with Java or C# .NET.
    But C(++) is also used for example with game engines.

There is a specific Game Forum.
    You should take a look in there to see if you can find anything useful.
    Last edited by MrFujin; October 11th, 2011 at 02:58 AM.
  5. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

There are far too many "games" for us to give you a lot of help, as Fujin stated.

Quake is written in C

Half-Life 2 is written in C++

Angry Birds is written in Java (or Visual C++)

Console games are written in C Variants with special libraries for 3D math.

Flash games are written in ActionScript.

If you want to make "real" games (like Halo or whatever) you'll need to be very very good at C and C++. Really good. Like, better than the 60,000 other high school students who want to be game programmers this month and already know C and C++.

Why would you plan a career you haven't even tried?
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo