1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Number System Converter

i kinda need help here. I've got this project where I can use any language of programming. The program is called number system converter. It's like converting binary to decimal or vice versa. the code would be straight forward as possible, nothing too fancy.
    languages that can be used:
    C (third preffered)
    java (second preferred)
    visual basic (preferred language to be used)
    assembly (least language to be used)

GUI:
    1) either the user will input using the keyboard or by just clicking on the interface
    2) radio buttons

limits of characters that can be inputted:
    binary: 8 characters (max: 11111111 or 01010101)
    decimal: 3 characters (max: 255)
    octal: 3 characters (max: 377)
    hexadecimal: 2 characters (max: FF)

it goes like this:
    when the program is used the user is shown 4 options: binary, decimal, octal, and hexadecimal then after the choice the user gets prompted to enter the number/letter of his choice (maybe 1111 if he chose binary or A if he chose hexadecimal). then after pressing ok, another prompt will pop out telling the user how will it be done, convert it to: binary, decimal, octal, hexadecimal, and convert to all (if the user chose binary in the input stage so in the conversion stage the binary option will be faded). Then after pressing the designated choice, the result pops out.

please, i really need it. thanks so much in advance. I'll entertain questions/clarifications anytime.

Comments on this post

• Lux Perpetua disagrees : This is a discussion forum, not a "do my homework" forum. I'm happy to discuss particulars of programming, but blatant attempts to cheat on your homework are offensive.
  3. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Read the thread posting rules. Specifically, read the rule that says we won't do your homework for you. Doing this in visual basic would take a skilled programmer 5 minutes, and an absolute novice 4 hours. Do your own homework, you may just learn something.

If you START the project, show some code, and explain why you think it may not be working, people may help. If you post your homework assignment to the board and say please, no matter how nicely, you won't get help.

-Dan

Comments on this post

• jzd agrees
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo