Thread: Telnet Server

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Telnet Server

After seeing the website u413.com (sorry...i cant link it here)
    i have decided that i can make an entire social network like facebook from this site for geeks and nerds only... now that requires me to do lots of web programming and things like that but i have decided to go one step further and implement my own telnet server so that i can process the requests without the use of a browser... besides telnet is An outdated protocol which is usually shipped in every OS and including a few mobile phone oses so its the perfect protocol for the job...
    so can you please tell what all languages should i learn to implement iti know its difficult and there will be secuirity and compatibility problems but i am ready to do it what so ever to get it working...
    -Lokesh
    Last edited by Lokesh1996; July 23rd, 2011 at 12:52 PM.
  3. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

C or C++.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

The Whole thing I can achieve with only those two?
    -Lokesh
  7. Sarcky

Originally Posted by Lokesh1996
    The Whole thing I can achieve with only those two?
    -Lokesh
    Entire operating systems are written in C. Quake3 is written in C. HalfLife2 is written in C++. Those languages are enough to do anything you want.

This is going to be really difficult, but if anyone is going to do it, they should use a low-level C based language.

-Dan

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  9. Banned ;)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    You don't really have to use C or C++ unless you need the performance. There are perfectly good telnet libs available in other languages. For instance, I've seen lots of telnet servers written in python or ruby.
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo
  11. Sarcky

Originally Posted by Scorpions4ever
    You don't really have to use C or C++ unless you need the performance. There are perfectly good telnet libs available in other languages. For instance, I've seen lots of telnet servers written in python or ruby.
    This is true as well, I forgot about Python.

13. Contributing User
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by Scorpions4ever
    You don't really have to use C or C++ unless you need the performance.
    And there is no need for performance with a telnet daemon. The client of the daemon should be a human typing.

Unless you want to support things like PPP over telnet.

C++ is an evil language, but that is just my personal opinion.

The OP should be creative and use Google's new GO language.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo