1. Only the strong survives!!.
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

Thinking about learning LISP

Anyone some good basic tutorial that they would like to share? Also do you think it would be a good idea for a php programmer to move to lisp? or maybe something else? I some some python ............. OK FINE DAMN 1t i will admit it.. im scared to move to lisp... damn language looks scary!!! damn you netytan!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by xlordt; June 5th, 2006 at 02:13 PM.
  3. Arcane Scribbler
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Learning Lisp is well worth it. You may not end up using it extensively, but there are a handful of very important concepts you have to wrap your head around in the process.

You could always search for tutorials, but there is a free only PDF book, too: On Lisp by Paul Graham. You may also want to read some of the other stuff on his site, too.
    Joel B Fant
    "An element of conflict in any discussion is a very good thing. Shows everybody's taking part, nobody left out. I like that."

.NET Must-Haves
    Tools: Reflector
    References: Threading in .NET
  5. fork while true;
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

Lisp is secksi

But yeah, seriously, take a look at scheme.

Lyon's post is about Common Lisp, not scheme

Schol-R made about 5000 links on his post in the Languages Resources list And of course google is your friend
    Last edited by LinuxPenguin; June 5th, 2006 at 02:25 PM.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by LyonHaert
    Learning Lisp is well worth it. You may not end up using it extensively, but there are a handful of very important concepts you have to wrap your head around in the process.

You could always search for tutorials, but there is a free only PDF book, too: On Lisp by Paul Graham. You may also want to read some of the other stuff on his site, too.
    Woah there! Put down the macro and put your hands on your head. Do not point newbies to On Lisp! That is 70 proof mind bending lisp magic and should be approached after using the language for a couple of years at least.

Seriously, the best common lisp intro I've seen is PCL - the whole book is online for free, it walks you through the language, the style, important libraries etc using practical problems, eg cataloging your mp3s. Good luck!
    Last edited by jamieB; June 9th, 2006 at 09:26 AM.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo