1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Good alternatives to installshield?

We need to deploy a small Visual C++ application (< 1Mbyte) to our client's PC. We need installation functions such as registry key adding and future software update notification for client. It appears InstallShield Express is a good candidate since it can support both functions. However, Installshield's pricetag is a bit on the high side with price ranges from $500-$5000.

Are there any good alternatives for InstallShield that you guys can recommand? Thanks for help,
  3. fork while true;
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

NSIS is the best, but you will have to learn the scripting language. It's free, however. There are some GUIs out there that provide a convenient wrapper to NSIS that you could look for.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Inno Setup. Like NSIS it is free and there are also graphical front ends to it that make life easier.
  7. Periodically energetic Perler
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Heres a link to a list of free install makers.

Displeaser
    Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I looked at Inno Setup and NSIS, they look good but don't seem to support upgrade notification to clients (it's on the request feature list for NSIS).

Just curious, would it be possible to implement this function into the script?

thanks again!
  11. fork while true;
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

You'd have to look at the things you can do with the scripting language, i haven't explored it fully, having moved to linux development. If there are functions for connecting to the internet etc. or pluggin in a DLL, i don't see why not.

Comments on this post

• displeaser agrees
  13. No Profile Picture

I know this thread is old, but I thought my finding may help others.

I was searching for a cheaper or free alternative to InstallShield. If found this thread an tried all suggested tools. I also tried WiX but found it too complicated.

In the end I found Advanced Installer . It's mostly oriented towards usability, so there are a lot of wizards and built-in stuff.
    So if you're looking for an easy solution, you can try it. It even has a free version.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo