1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Lisp Setup Questions

I was just starting to look at Lisp, reading Practical Common lisp. I have emacs setup with slime. As it was suggested in this book.

I have also setup the fedora-lisp repository in yum. However a common reccomendation for a newbie looking at Lisp is "Lisp in a Box", however I cannot find much documentation or a site to download it.

I have found allegro free edition and though I have installed it it may take more tweaking before it works.

If you have set lisp up did you use "lisp in a box" if so where is the doenload and docs ? Or did you use allegro or find another option ?

Your input greatly appreciated.
  3. fork while true;
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

When I set up common lisp, I did `emerge gcl`, and it installed it all nicely.

Why don't you just download gcl (gnu common lisp), there are RPMs all over the place.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

GCL is available in fedora extras. Will GCL require any configuration with emacs ?

PS I have setup allegro succesfully along with GCL which works in the terminal.
  7. fork while true;

No, emacs has good support for CL highlighting (CL is like elisp in some respects).

You can also have emacs use CL to execute when you do ^x ^e, although i forget how.

Comments on this post

• netytan disagrees : CL like eLisp? Maybe in the fact that both are Lisp languages..
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

thanks for your time, much appreciated
  11. fork while true;

No worries. And be sure to read the Language Resources list, it's full of lisp and scheme links

Comments on this post

• Schol-R-LEA agrees : That reminds me, I need to set up a CL section (as well as Ada and Smalltalk and a few others)
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Lisp in a box downloads and docs are at common-lisp.net.

I used it when first looking at CL and it might be useful if you need to set up CL/emacs/slime in a hurry (nb you need to install a slime compatible CL separately) but the version of slime it comes with is too old. You need to get the latest slime as bugs get fixed fairly quickly, and if you ask questions about problems with it no one will help you until you're using the latest...If you use a recent SBCL for instance you need the latest stable slime from CVS (for the time being).

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo