1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Deal a pack of cards

Hi

Basically I am trying to write a function which takes a list of cards and deals it out to a given number of people. For example, dealing cards [a,b,c,d,e,f,g] to 3 people would return [[a,d,g],[b,e],[c,f]]. The types are Int -> [a] -> [[a]].

I can't figure out a way to do this in Haskell. I would have thought to maybe use two loops in Java but is this even possible in Haskell? Another thought I had would be to use modulus values but I can't figure this out either.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

The first approach that comes to mind is: dealing cards 1..N to players A,B,C is the same as dealing cards 2..N to players B,C,A and giving player A card 1.

Another: dealing cards 1..N to players A,B,C is the same as dealing cards 1,4,7... to player A and dealing the remainder to B,C.

Are you shuffling the deck? If so there's no need to deal the cards as you would a physical deck, you can get the same effect by giving the first N/3 cards to A, the next N/3 to B, and the rest to C.
    sub{*{$::{$_}}{CODE}==$_[0]&& print for(%:: )}->(\&Meh);
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thanks for your reply. The cards have already been shuffled so they need to be dealt in the right order.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo