1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Free Clipper Download......

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get a free download of a US version of Clipper 5.2 or 5.3. I found a free International version but I need a US. I need to upgrade my version from Summer '87. I work for the government and anything we buy the tax payers have to pay for. With the economy being the way it is, I don't think it is a good idea to spend much money.

Thanks in advance!!
  3. Commie Mutant Traitor
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Originally Posted by marge0513
    Hello, I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get a free download of a US version of Clipper 5.2 or 5.3. I found a free International version but I need a US. I need to upgrade my version from Summer '87. I work for the government and anything we buy the tax payers have to pay for. With the economy being the way it is, I don't think it is a good idea to spend much money.

Thanks in advance!!
    As a government employee, I would expect that legal obligations such as copyright law might trump the value of saving money. Just a thought.

Rather than asking about very old (and copyrighted) packages, you might want to look into one of the several modern, open-source re-implementations of xBase such as The Harbour Project or dbFree. There are also some commercial implementations, such as xBase++ and FlagShip, but those aren't free.
    Last edited by Schol-R-LEA; June 16th, 2011 at 08:19 AM.
    Rev First Speaker Schol-R-LEA;2 JAM LCF ELF KoR KCO BiWM TGIF
    #define KINSEY (rand() % 7) λ Scheme is the Red Pill
    Scheme in Short Understanding the C/C++ Preprocessor
    Taming Python A Highly Opinionated Review of Programming Languages for the Novice, v1.1

FOR SALE: One ShapeSystem 2300 CMD, extensively modified for human use. Includes s/w for anthro, transgender, sex-appeal enhance, & Gillian Anderson and Jason D. Poit clone forms. Some wear. $4500 obo. tverres@et.ins.gov
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Schol-R-LEA
    As a government employee, I would expect that legal obligations such as copyright law might trump the value of saving money. Just a thought.

Rather than asking about very old (and copyrighted) packages, you might want to look into one of the several modern, open-source re-implementations of xBase such as The Harbour Project or dbFree. There are also some commercial implementations, such as xBase++ and FlagShip, but those aren't free.
    Hi and thanks for responding! Yes, I guess that is "food for thought". I didn't even think of that.

Others have also told me to use XHarbour but I thought that it would make more sense for me to jump from Summer '87 to 5.2e than XHarbour because I am used to programming in an object oriented language. Clipper is very new and confusing to me. To be quite honest, I am fearful to jump to version 5.3 but I thought if that is the only version I could find free then I would try it. The only reason I need to work in Clipper is to make a change in an old, existing application we have. This application will be re-written in Visual Basic in the near future but I need to make the change in Clipper for now.

Thank you so much for the site information. I guess I am just trying to take baby steps but if I need to take the XHarbour leap, I will do it if need be........and if I can! LOL!
  7. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Marge, please note that you're posting from your office, and not obfuscating your identity or your IP address. Piracy is very very much illegal in the US. The average civil penalty for downloading a piece of software illegally is more than 5 times the penalty for DUI. The taxpayers of Delaware would rather you buy the software or find an open source alternative.

-Dan
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Wow. I wasn't trying to do anything illegal. I didn't realize that a free copy meant all this.

Thanks for the info. though.
  11. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by marge0513
    Wow. I wasn't trying to do anything illegal. I didn't realize that a free copy meant all this.

Thanks for the info. though.
    Most people don't realize it's illegal, which is mystifying to me. "I'd like to get something that normally costs money without actually paying for it" is what you asked. How could there be a legal way to do that?
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo