1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Wink I'm new and I need advice

Hello! My name is Alexander. I am from Russia. I study on computer systems and networks. But nothing important we do not train so I decided to learn myself. Guys really need the right advice. Please tell me where to start. Next go to learn the software. Please tell me what programming language to choose. Some advise to start with C because it is in demand. Some advise to start with mobile applications. Say what some websites, articles, videos can be learned. I want to be a real programmer.
  3. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Hi,

it makes no sense to start programming without a concrete goal in mind. I mean, you can "program" all kinds of things: hardware drivers, server scripts, scientific models, games, websites, whatever. Each application has its own specialized language.

Your question is like saying: I want to be a mechanic, which tool should I start with? A saw, a jackhammer or a pipe wrench?

You need to decide first what you want to do. Choosing a programming language is also a matter of motivation. If you're mainly interested in making money, you'd probably choose one of the mainstream languages like C/C++, Java, PHP and Perl (depending on the concrete purpose). If you're more interested in beautiful algorithms and expanding your mindset, I'd recommend a very different set of languages (Haskell, Ruby, Python, Smalltalk).

So think about what you want to do and why. Then we can help you.
  5. No Profile Picture

Thank you for your response! I think it is possible to begin to take something from Haskell, Ruby, Python, Smalltalk, to expand a little thinking, but do not dwell on it for long. Then maybe it will be easier to learn C / C, Java, PHP and Perl. It's just me right. Work to support his family. Here in Russia, just these languages ​​and in demand, as well as now gaining more popularity programming for mobile devices, tablet computers (on operating systems ios,android, windows) but for now I think it necessary to start with Haskell, Ruby, Python, Smalltalk, to expand its myshlenie.A then go to C \ C + + Java PHP and Perl, and only then, when it will be at least some sort of a foundation, and then you can move further.
  7. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

I think you misunderstood me. I didn't say that you should learn all languages I mentioned somewhere in the text. Quite the opposite. You should focus on one language that fits your personal interests.

Trying to learn 10 completely different languages is nonsense and will get you nowhere. That's like working on 10 different foreign languages at once.

OK, when you're looking for popular languages, Java and C/C++ (and PHP for web stuff) are indeed the way to go. I'd probably start with Java, because it's relatively simple compared to C and yet suited for pretty much anything. You can't really go wrong with that. PHP is even simpler, but it's more or less limited to web applications and only makes sense if you actually want to do that (writing websites with PHP, HTML and JavaScript).

Forget Haskell etc. Those are rather exotic languages that won't get you a better job or something. You won't become a better programmer just by writing a "Hallo world" in Haskell. Do that after you've learned your other languages.
  9. No Profile Picture

Thank you! Now, I understand you! You're right, I'm really obsessed with the fact that you need to learn a lot of different languages, and I will deal with it. I agree with you, can really take on Java. Look for information on the language on the Internet. Can you advise what some websites or books are good, and video tutorials.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo