1. Web Developer
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Databases and C/C++

I imagine that I can connect to several different kinds of databases with C or C++. I wanted to ask exactly how wide of a range of database can be connected with C/C++? And which databases would be refered over others?
    -- Tomi Kaistila
    -- Developer's Journal

The more you learn, the more you know.
    The more you know, the more you forget.
    The more you forget, the less you know.
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Re: Databases and C/C++

Originally posted by Datamike
    I imagine that I can connect to several different kinds of databases with C or C++. I wanted to ask exactly how wide of a range of database can be connected with C/C++? And which databases would be refered over others?
    Lots, it just depends on your tastes.
    Jon Sagara

"Me fail English? That's unpossible!"
  5. /(bb|[^b]{2})/

I would imagine that this is just a preference. Probably all dbms support C/C++ with either thier own library files or through ODBC/CLI.
    I have never tried using Access, but you can set it up through ODBC, so you could probably use this one also (although who would want to I don't know ;) ).
    I personally use DB2 with either embedded sql or using a CLI library. (Prefer the CLI over embedded, don't have to bind to the database then) I use this mainly with C.
  7. Big Endian
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

If you're going to be writing C++ code to access different databases and you want to make your code more portable, you might want to take a look at http://www.sqlapi.com/

They have class libraries that will help make your code usable across multiple platforms, compilers and databases. It also lists a bunch of databases that can be accessed using C++.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo