1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Whats a good starting book?

Hey-
    I'm wanting to begin programming in C++ but I don't know where to start. I'm not really into the whole classroom thing (since I'm still in highschool, I'd rather not take more classes outside of that) and I want to be able to program in C++ in my free time (for now at least) So I'd like to know of any good books that are for beginners like me, no real programming backround, I don't care too much the read lvl or how boring it is, just as long as it's good quality and w/good examples. Thanx for any help!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

if you did no programming already at all, you better start with some basic C (never get deeper into pointers, once you use C++ you donīt need them anymore :) ). then learn OOP. parents, children, inheritance - itīs all easy once you know what to use it for...

these two combined with some new commands make C++

then you need to choose your platform. linux x-windows/kde/gnome, dos/linux console, windows 9x/NT. because only with C++ you wonīt get too far ;) - itīs the libraries / classes that make a programming language strong.

for starting C, i can recommend the "Kernighan and Ritchie" - the inventorsī book about how to program in C - if you are good at mathematics. if not, better donīt try this one, itīs long and hard if you donīt have a background about functions, iteration and recursion eg.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Talking Useful books

Hiya

If you want to start programming and know little or nothing about C++ or even nothing about programming I'd look for a SAMS teach yourself book (I'm currently using Teach Yourself c# in 21 days for example) The Books assume you know nothing but dont talk to you like you're stupid! They walk you through everything you need to know to get started.

After you've worked your way through that I'd go for an O'Reilly book. They are THE reference books for everything but you have to know something or you'll just get lost trying to read it. I never read my O'Reilly books as such, they are great for looking stuff up in tho and they contain everything you need to know.

Mitchell

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo