1. Rut row Raggy!
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Question Programming Windows/C. Petzold book

I was thinking about getting that Win32 programming book by Charles Petzold, but I wanted to know if it's just a reference book or if it actually explains things. The reason I ask is b/c I'm a newbie and a reference book will be of little help to me since I don't know a whole lot about Win32 API.
    Matt
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

If you're a newbie C programmer, then get a book on C first. Once you have a good handle on C, then Petzold's book is a great introduction to the Windows API. It teaches you, and can also be used as a reference.
    Jon Sagara

"Me fail English? That's unpossible!"
  5. Rut row Raggy!

I've had a class on C++, and understand it well enough to make basic applications. So that answers my question, thanks.
    Matt
  7. Contributing User

Note that Petzold's book features programs in C only. If you want windows programming with C++, check out Jeff Prosise's "Programming Windows with MFC 2nd ed."
    Jon Sagara

9. Rut row Raggy!

I was told to get a good grip on Win32 befor diving into the incredibly complex world of MFC. :eek:
    Matt
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I'm reading through Petzold right now. It's great but you absolutely must have a handle on C first.
  13. Contributing User

I was told to get a good grip on Win32 befor diving into the incredibly complex world of MFC.
    Yep, that's fair. MFC is just a thin wrapper around the Win32 API, so by reading Petzold first, you'll better understand what's going on underneath the hood of MFC.
    Jon Sagara

15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I read through about half of Petzold's 1300 pages, and now I'm reading MFC Programming from the Ground Up, by Schildt.

I've already done more in 100 pages than I did with the ~650 from Petzold, but I'm glad I read what I did from Petzold because it makes understanding MFC that much easier when you know what's going on in the background and how windows programs are structured.

FYI, the book doesn't acknowledge the MSVC++ wizards until Chapter 19, so you really do learn how to use MFC.
    Last edited by Tsigo; February 27th, 2003 at 01:24 AM.
  17. Rut row Raggy!

Originally posted by Tsigo
    I've already done more in 100 pages than I did with the ~650 from Petzold, but I'm glad I read what I did from Petzold because it makes understanding MFC that much easier when you know what's going on in the background and how windows programs are structured.
    Somehow that doesn't suprise me. I read about 50 pages of Petzold's book before I got distracted by Python, and while very informative, it is very dry reading!
    Matt
  19. No Profile Picture

Marron79,

Man, you are the programming-language meister! You've been dabbling in so many languages lately (judging from your posts). I think my head would be spinning if I were you.

J :)
  21. Rut row Raggy!

Originally posted by ahuimanu
    Man, you are the programming-language meister! You've been dabbling in so many languages lately (judging from your posts). I think my head would be spinning if I were you.[/B]
    While I'm not experienced with many languages, I have researched a lot of them in the last year. And yes, my head IS spinning. :D
    Matt

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo