1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

C programming language recommandation

Hi all

First of a little background

I've programmed i Visual Basic and Asp for a couple of years.

I feel it's time i continue with some other programming language
    But before i choose, I'd like to know how far the language will fill my needs

I've decided on PHP, for creating web pages ( been programming in it for a couple of months, nice)

But I want a language for creating applications as well.

Now I know that C++ has all that but the different "flavors"
    (Borland, Visual C++...) complicates it.

I'd like to continue with C

1. But do'es i any libraries, so I can created "windows applications"

2. Can I use thoose libraries i both Linux and Windows apps.

I bit unusual question, but I'd appreciate any guidance.

Jon
    jrh@telia.com
  3. Banned ;)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    There is this company called Bristol Technologies that makes a cross-platform API which can be used between OSs. I haven't personally used them though. I think they might have changed the company name, because my latest issue of Dr. Dobbs Journal had an ad for the same product with a different company name.

If you're going for GUIs and stuff, Borland makes C++ Builder for Windows and Kylix for Linux. The latest versions of the two products (i.e. C++ Builder 7.0 and Kylix 3.0) are almost source compatible with each other. What this means is that aside from a few minor differences, it is easy to take the source from one product and recompile it on the other one. Some of the differences would be:
    * Rename all the .dfm files to .xfm when taking them from C++ Builder to Kylix.
    * Change path names from "\" to "/" in the source.

As you can see, the changes are relatively simple to make. The thing to remember is that most code written for C++ Builder/Kylix is incompatible with any other C++ compilers. This is because Borland has added quite a few extensions to their compilers that none of the other vendors support. With a VB background though, Borland's compilers will probably be a lot easier to pick up. In fact, after you use one of these, you'd probably never want to go back to VB again.
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks Scorpions4ever

I'll check into Bristol Technologies and C++ builder

Jon
  7. Doggie
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

I write C++ programs for Windows and Mac. To get around the platform issue, I create a skeleten program on both platforms that call the same class using the same parameters for each event. I have another class with the graphic tools written for each platform too.

I uploaded my code here:
    http://forums.devshed.com/t69349/s.html
    If you wanted to see how I did it. (windows only version)

I only use this when creating the meat of the program. It's not made for writting the interface completely, but you could do something simular.

Your other choice would be to write Java applications. They're suppose to run quite fast and compile the same on most systems. I've been thinking about leaning to write them. (currently I only use Java script and Java applets)
  9. No Profile Picture

Thanks Dog

Good point about a skeleton program

Jon

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo