1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Ansi C Compiler For Mca Lab

guys i wanna ANSI C COMPILER FOR MCA LAB. kindly get me link also differentiate ansi c and turbo c
  3. Contributing User

You are going to have to explain what "MCA Lab" is (provide a link perhaps). You are making a bold assumption if you think we are familiar with that. If you mean this then you should ask your course tutor for advice

Turbo C is a brand of C compiler originally from Borland for MS/PC-DOS and Win16. It is a compiler not a language. It compiles C code. It is ancient and best ignored; there are plenty of modern alternatives. I would be dismayed if your course requires you to use this; unfortunately it does seem very common amongst Indian users of this forum, so I fear that it may be the standard courseware for this.

ANSI C refers to the 1989 ANSI standard for C, it is not a compiler, it is merely a standard definition of teh C language to which a compiler may comply. It has long since (1990) been superseded by ISO C. ISO C90 is in practice identical to the ANSI C89 standard - just internationalised. ISO introduced a new C standard in 1999 (C99). Many compilers do not fully support ISO C99.

If you are asking how the Turbo C dialect differs from ISO C, then the answer would depend on what version you are using. Version 2.0 was released in 1989 so may be ANSI compliant, previous versions pre-date the standard so will not. Note that products after this version were called Turbo C++ and included C and C++ compilation. I would imagine that there are few significant differences at v2.0 or C compilation using Turbo C++, however it does include a number of proprietary libraries for graphics and console manipulation that are not necessarily portable to other compilers. Compilers that claim ANSI/ISO compliance must document any deviation and implementation defined behaviour.

Note also that 16 bit x86 compilers include extensions to support the segmented memory model used in 8086 "Real Mode". This involves additional keywords such as near and far (Grover from Sesame Street's favourite keywords! ;) ).

Do not expect any version of Turbo C++ to be ISO C++ compliant. They pre-date the standard by a long way.

Comments on this post

• salem agrees
    • delnan agrees
    Last edited by clifford; June 5th, 2010 at 04:41 AM.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thumbs down need ansi c

guys i am not a student. i am working as a system admin. i just wanna know the difference in user interface and also need ansi c compiler free download

kindly give me link for free download.

Comments on this post

• delnan disagrees : First polish your wording. Then read his post again and realize that there is no such thing as an ansi c compiler.
  7. Contributing User

So what has "MCA Lab" go to do with this requirement?

What platform (Windows, Linux etc.) do you need this to run on?

In the time you have spent demanding a 'link' you could have Google'd it yourself!

Microsoft VC++ 2010 Express Edition is free and can perform C compilation to ANSI C89/ISO C99, but not ISO C99 except perhaps those C99 features that are also C++.

If you are running Linux, you will almost certainly have GCC already installed and that supports ANSI C89/ISO C90 and ISO C99.

A version of GCC for Windows is available from www.mingw.org.

Comments on this post

• Schol-R-LEA agrees
    Last edited by clifford; June 7th, 2010 at 03:40 AM.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo