Results: Do you make client/server 's IPv6 compatible? 

Voters
3 You may not vote on this poll

• yes one day it will pay off i swear
    100.00%
  • nope too lazy for that ;)
    0%

Thread: ipv4 && ipv6

1. not a fan of fascism (n00b)
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

ipv4 && ipv6

im just curious if any of you guys who are professionsals write your clients/servers to be IPv6 compatible? recently i have been trying to whip myself into the habit, but i dont have any "real job life" experience so i'm curious about those who do?
  3. Banned ;)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    Well, I once wrote this chatserver program (not for my job, just to learn some socket programming) and since I learned from W. Richard Stevens' book, my server code was IPv6 compatible (all his examples are). My client code, which I wrote in Java, was another story. Turns out Java sockets didn't support IPv6 at all (maybe they do now?). Anyways, I discovered that my server was IPv6 compatible the hard way. I had tested my server code on Linux and FreeBSD and the java client had no trouble connecting to my server. The first time someone else tried it on a NetBSD box though, the java client would not connect. The trouble was that NetBSD had IPv6 enabled and the server app was listening on an IPv6 socket! So, I could telnet to localhost just fine from the NetBSD server (since the telnet program on NetBSD supported IPv6), but my client couldn't connect to it :D. I had to fix my server program to force listening on IPv4.
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo
  5. not a fan of fascism (n00b)
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

hmm, maybe i needed a third option: 'i dont give a shiat',lol

scorpions<<yep, that book has inspired me to do the same. also i must say, what a great book that is. i learned network programming last semester at college via winBlows with a little guide my teacher had pieced together. half the class was always spent with me asking a billion questions since his book was so vague. i demanded to know what a socket actually is, and what in the hell a sock_addrin was as well. but after reading the Steven's book i wish i had that to learn from in the first place, it explains everything so clearly; i love the second chapter with the diagrams of all the structures, it really instills the stuff into my brain much better than just using them in code w/o knowing the underlying byte structure. i would highly advise that book to anyone interested in networking.
    something interesting i read recently in regards to IPv6 was a hacker who was using IPv6 to tunnel all sorts of stuff(IRC server, his own ftp version) all right under some expensive IDS. the problem was that the IDS couldnt decipher the IPv6 traffic so it had no idea what has happening! :D

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo