1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Pseudo-random Generator in C

Hi. I am a fairly new C programmer (I'm more experienced in Java and C++) and was just wondering if the C libraries provided a way to generate a random integer? Thank you!
    Jill
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

int rand()

You should defintively get a C reference book...
  5. No Profile Picture

Thank you very much for your help.
  7. No Profile Picture
    status unknown

... and a C++ reference book by the look of it ;-)
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

You could also look into srand if you want to create different random number each time. rand generates the same random number each time it is called
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

... a very useful "feature" in debugging ;)
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Smile

Absolutely true, but was mentioning that srand could be used too to create random numbers:) ;)
  15. No Profile Picture
    status unknown

It may be that you understand what you mean but expressed it poorly, but your two posts could be considered misleading.

srand() doesn't generate random numbers, it seeds the random number generator. rand() doesn't generate the same number each time it's called, it returns the next number in the sequence. If you don't seed the generator before your first call to rand() it may start the sequence from the same point each time.
  17. I'm Baaaaaaack!

What are you using the random values for?

rand() is a very poor random number generator, useless for almost everything except for student exercises. If you are doing simulations (or, heaven forbid, cryptography) you will find that rand() is going to give anomalous results. In addition, it only provides a small set (it only provides numbers between 0 and 32767 and if I recall correctly, providing a different seed to srand() only shifts your starting point in the exact same sequence of random numbers.

My blog, The Fount of Useless Information http://sol-biotech.com/wordpress/
    Free code: http://sol-biotech.com/code/.
    Secure Programming: http://sol-biotech.com/code/SecProgFAQ.html.
    Performance Programming: http://sol-biotech.com/code/PerformanceProgramming.html.
    LinkedIn Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/keithoxenrider

It is not that old programmers are any smarter or code better, it is just that they have made the same stupid mistake so many times that it is second nature to fix it.
    --Me, I just made it up

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
    --George Bernard Shaw
  19. No Profile Picture
    status unknown

Re: What are you using the random values for?

Originally posted by mitakeet
    rand() is a very poor random number generator, useless for almost everything except for student exercises. If you are doing simulations (or, heaven forbid, cryptography) you will find that rand() is going to give anomalous results. In addition, it only provides a small set (it only provides numbers between 0 and 32767 and if I recall correctly, providing a different seed to srand() only shifts your starting point in the exact same sequence of random numbers.
    It provides at least 0 to 32767. Some implementations provide a greater range.
  21. jasondoucette.com

The RAND_MAX macro is set to equal to the maximum range rand() returns. It has been 32,767 on every machine I have tested it on (all Windows OS's). srand() does simply shift the starting point in the sequence, since rand() just returns the next number in the sequence based on the current number, the sequence is always the same.

You could attempt to use the least significant bits of the current time via high resolution timer, if one exists, to help construct a random number. These bits from the current time should be fairly random by themselves.
  23. No Profile Picture

The random generator isn't for anything too fancy. I just have to write a small program in C that implements MPI on our computer cluster. I was just trying to figure out how to make calls to random processes. Thank you all for your help! I think I am all set now.
  25. No Profile Picture
    status unknown

Originally posted by Jason Doucette
    The RAND_MAX macro is set to equal to the maximum range rand() returns. It has been 32,767 on every machine I have tested it on (all Windows OS's).
    That wouldn't surprise me, and is consistent with what I said. But there are platforms using versions of RAND_MAX with much higher ranges, e.g. 0 .. 2,147,483,647.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo