1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

making a text editor

anybody who knows where to find tutorials on or knows how to make a simple text editor like notepad, please send me a link or tell me.

>> EDIT
    all i need to know is basically how to make something that looks like notepad, where i can type on a white screen with that notepad style interface, i dont need to know how to make any of the notepad features like format and view, dont even need to know how to save :D
    Last edited by FHCandyman; August 10th, 2003 at 12:11 AM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

With visual c++, you only have to make about 6 clicks with your mouse to get a fully functioning text editor.
    Last edited by 7stud; August 10th, 2003 at 12:15 AM.
  5. No Profile Picture

well yes, i know that, but im using dev-c++ thus have to code it.
  7. Cast down

Read this:
    http://www.winprog.org/tutorial/

you just make a window with a big Editbox (textbox) on it, and to save, you output the text in the Editbox to file, that's about it, for a very very primitive text editor.

I think CreateWindowEx() is too tedious, I suggest you look for a Visual Dialog Editor or something, they have free ones, that let you edit Dialog's visually, the dialog's are stored as resources, you can use them as your main window.
  9. No Profile Picture

well thanks for the tutorial, but heres where im at, im a newbie programmer learning C++ and i want to practice programming apps in C++. so im not looking for anything to make the job quicker or easier, just simple C++ to practice. also this is in the interest of my one friend, so im looking for tutorials to give to him too.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi,

Well, if you don't need to do it with window's API's you could try some of the GUI libraries out there. Maybe wxWindows, Qt or any other you may find. If what you want is to learn is to develop directly from the Windows' API try: http://www.winprog.org/tutorial/index.html
    http://www.relisoft.com/win32/
    http://www.foosyerdoos.fsnet.co.uk/
    Hope it helps,
    Last edited by ygdrasyl; August 10th, 2003 at 05:53 AM.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

"well thanks for the tutorial, but heres where im at, im a newbie programmer learning C++"

Then you probably shouldn't be trying to do what your doing, which is called "windows programming", just yet. You should try to learn C++ first. Windows programming usually involves reading through a 1500 page book learning about all the windows functions(do you even know how to program with functions at this stage?)
  15. No Profile Picture

oh yeah, i forgot that part. i have read through(well, half of) Sams Teach yourself C++ in 21 days, and want to start practicing this type of stuff soon. This is mainly for my friend, and just as reference for me. personally right now im at some advanced functions, just before arrays and that, and then i'll be getting into graphical stuff. I didnt mean i was newbie newbie. I'm just new to windows programming. Sorry for the confusion.
  17. No Profile Picture

and i hope i didnt sound like that tutorial wasnt helpful, thats quite the opposite. that tutorial has tremendously helped me understand windows programming better and thanks to the person who sent that. i am now looking at the other tutorials posted.

>> EDIT
    Those are very good tutorials! Just what I needed. Thanks a lot :D (well not exactly what i needed, but a simple text editor shouldnt be too hard to figure out from that :p )
    Last edited by FHCandyman; August 10th, 2003 at 10:42 AM.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo