1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

C++ input is "45 / 60" how do I ...

Hello all, Nice forum here.
    How do I take a user input of
    45 / 60 (forty five devided by sixty)
    and seperate the numerator and denominator.

Example. I want the be able to call the numerater or the denomenator at a later time, but have to accept all of the input at the same time from the user. Thanks, Chuck
  3. jasondoucette.com

You have to accept the input from the user as a string. Then parse the string into two smaller strings, knowing that they are separated by the / symbol (you could probably do some error checking here, to ensure there is a / symbol). Then call a function to convert a string to an integer for both of these strings, and you'll have your numbers.
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the reply. I found the answer in the text....it is quite simple actually!

int x;
    int y;
    char z;

cout << "Enter a fraction" ; // fraction of the form " 89 / 10 "
    cin >> x >> z >> y

cout looks like this 89/10

Thanks again! Chuck
  7. jasondoucette.com

I would assume that the code only works when there are spaces between the numbers and the division symbol (please correct me, if I am wrong). Even though I did notice the spaces in your thread title, I assumed that you placed them there for readability... I did not realize that this was a requirement of the input. In a real program, you should never assume anything from the user. It would be a good challenge for you to attempt to make the program work when there are no spaces, or even print an error message when there is no division symbol.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo