1. Cast down
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

C/C++ database jobs looking for ?

If I plan on getting a job working with databases, using C/C++, what should I learn? MySQL++?

I have experience with PHP/MySQL, that's about it when it comes to db's.
  3. Cast down

I have MySQL installed, how would I use it in a C++ app? I see the lib's and the include file, but which do I link and all that.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Re: C/C++ database jobs looking for ?

Originally posted by movEAX_444
    If I plan on getting a job working with databases, using C/C++, what should I learn?
    To ask if they want fries with that. The market is pretty dismal for somebody looking for a programming job right now, and it has been for the last couple of years. Even the contracting/freelance market isn't stellar, because everybody is cutting back on IT spending.

As a hedge against this economy I've started volunteering at a local brewery, so I can learn another trade. Being experienced in two trades (painter & programmer), I find that both are in a severe slump. So I learn another, since even unemployed people need a drink now and then. As a bonus, I really save money on beer, since I get mine for the price of the grain.
    Clay Dowling
    Lazarus Notes
    Articles and commentary on web development
    http://www.lazarusid.com/notes/
  7. Cast down

Damn, oh well, I won't be getting a job soon, but I want to start writing MySQL app's in C, how would I? I added the include/lib dir's to my VC .NET options, what do I link and what header do I include?

ugh, I had to include windows.h to use mysql.h... Ok, got prog to compile w/ include.
    Last edited by movEAX_444; September 20th, 2003 at 07:19 PM.
  9. I'm Baaaaaaack!
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

I would look long and hard before I spent a bunch of energy on learning any specific tools/techniques. Be sure there is a reasonable market that will take beginners before you go to that much effort. C++/database programmers are a dime a dozen and since HR people can't evaluate the difference between an excellent programmer and a putz (I find that the majority of technical managers are only slightly better), they tend to look only at the number of years of experience you are willing to tell them you have. If you can't describe several years of paid experience doing EXACTLY what they are asking for, you can probably forget it. If you want to find jobs and are willing to put in a lot of your own time and energy (I prefer to be paid to learn), find something that is currently hot and jump on the band wagon. Java used to be really hot, now it is just another development language. I am not into what is hot, so I can't offer any advice on what you should be looking for, but for the near term there is always going to be .Net and then whatever MS invents to brainwash people into thinking they need next.

As for a good db to learn, look into Postgresql. MySQL does not scale very well and is not ACID compliant. If that statement doesn't mean anything to you, invest in some database theory books, those questions may be in your interview. You can also invest time in becoming proficient in ODBC, there are drivers for nearly every database out there now. If you can put your hands on MS SQLServer, it is a pretty decent engine and there is plenty of demand.

My blog, The Fount of Useless Information http://sol-biotech.com/wordpress/
    Free code: http://sol-biotech.com/code/.
    Secure Programming: http://sol-biotech.com/code/SecProgFAQ.html.
    Performance Programming: http://sol-biotech.com/code/PerformanceProgramming.html.
    LinkedIn Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/keithoxenrider

It is not that old programmers are any smarter or code better, it is just that they have made the same stupid mistake so many times that it is second nature to fix it.
    --Me, I just made it up

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
    --George Bernard Shaw
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I'll agree that learning PostgreSQL is a good idea, although not necessarily for mitakeet's reasons. My understanding is that under certain conditions, i.e. when using the right kind of table, MySQL can be made ACID compliant. It also scales exceptionally well; I've used it in massive applications without problem. But it won't be as forgiving of shoddy programming, second rate sys-admin, or bad database design as others. Since you're learning, expect to have all three of those things happen to you.

PostgreSQL does provide some features that you should know if you want to be a database programmer though. It has a more robust SQL implementation, and most importantly it supports stored procedures, which you will need to be familiar with if you're going to program professionally as part of a team. Learning to program with MS SQL Server is a good idea as well. In addition to it being fairly sought after in the job market, it has a strong set of features that make it a joy to work with. You probably have a copy that came with Visual Studio. All it needs is a decent UNIX C interface and I'd try to use it for all of my work.
    Clay Dowling
    Lazarus Notes
    Articles and commentary on web development
    http://www.lazarusid.com/notes/
  13. Banned ;)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    I guess it depends on the job at hand really --- larger corporations are reluctant to use MySQL for enterprise systems generally and usually go for something more robust (and usually not free either). For the record, most of my database programming involved three database engines -- Centura SQLBase, Borland Interbase (they have since released an opensource version, now called Firebird) and MS SQL Server. Of the three, I programmed for MS SQL Server the most (both last and current job). The tool I used mostly was C++ Builder.

Right now, I still write C++ apps that connect to MS SQL from *nix machines, using the freetds drivers. We do use mySQL at work sometimes, but most my apps that use mySQL were done in perl (except for this one thing in C++ Builder) :D.
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo