1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

LightWeight C++ Compiler for Windows

Hey guys,

I am one of those n00bs who's after learning some C++. I was looking today at various compilers and figured that this place might be well best to ask.

So far DMC seems to produce best results (file size wise) and my hello world application weights only 40 KB - which is still too big I rekon, I've tried one from borland, but that's even worse 110 KB, MS is in between.

Perhaps you guys could point me in direction of good complier that doesn't include all the crap and produces nice files with minumum filesize.

Thanks for any help guys,
  3. No Profile Picture
    status unknown

You need to do far more extensive testing than a simple Hello World program if you wish to determine which compiler will produce the smallest executable. You should also make sure you know how to configure each compiler correctly so that you reduce the executable to the smallest size that it can produce.

Once you've done that, be mindful that executable size is only one of many possible ways to judge which compiler is 'better'. And often it's not the most important factor.

If you're a noob, just learning C++, I really wouldn't give any concern to the executable size right now.
  5. Cast down

Yes, you shouldn't worry about filesize now. You can look at 'Mingw'. Also make sure your compiler is set to release, not debug.

If you really care about filesize, maybe this will help:
    http://www.catch22.org.uk/tuts/minexe.asp

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo