1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Working with a Programmer

Hey guys, I'm completely new to this so please bear with me. I'm looking to work with a local programmer for app design. I know a few talented people, but I want to make sure I know how to get my idea across to them, regarding app design. I'm hoping to establish the following before I proceed (so I don't get fleeced): Is it possible to create an app that features a 3d image that can be swiped, rotated, and have specific areas selected that navigate to a specific page? I'm thinking of a 3d anatomy chart where each specific part of the anatomy can be selected, which leads to a pop-up, and essentially navigates the user to a specific solution for the area selected. Also, I'd like to feature short clips of the 3-d section of anatomy selected. I'd just like to know how difficult this is for someone to develop, if even possible, so I have an idea of how to lead this conversation. I hope this makes sense, any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

It is possible, and as far as 3d work goes it's not particularly advanced*, but 3d work is a specialization that a lot (probably most) programmers do not have and even basic 3d work is difficult for someone who isn't familiar with it.

If by app you mean something that would run on a mobile device, that adds an additional level of complexity. And you would definitely need to clarify that you mean a mobile app when talking with your programmer.

Before you even begin looking for a programmer, figure out what operating systems and platforms you want to support.

Do you have your 3d models already? If not, you should start looking into those as their format could influence the design of the application.

If you have a specific idea of how you want the application to look and feel, you might consider having a designer draw up mockups (or draw them up yourself). Often your mockups will convey your ideas better than you could write or speak them, and frequently they convey important details to the programmer that you might have thought irrelevant or implied but are actually very significant.

* However, "not particularly advanced" is not the same thing as "can be done quickly". This is not the sort of thing where someone could sit down and whip together a production ready solution in an hour or two.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. Contributing User

Possible and already done
  7. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thanks E Oreo, that's very helpful. That 3d body program looks similar to what I'm thinking, though it's more in depth in terms of anatomy coverage, but nowhere close to the ballpark of the type of user experience, depth, or purpose of what i have in mind, but the anatomy part is similar.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo