Thread: Java or C?

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Post Java or C?

I have this dilema should i learn C or java and what are the advantages and disadvantages to both of them? :)
  3. Contributing User

As a start point, you may want to ask yourself, why you may ever want to learn either of them? and what are your needs and projects in terms of programming. Based on the answer you give to these questions, you may have enough pertinent key words to google for what you're looking for.
  5. No Profile Picture

Yeah, at this point it seems like a false dichotomy.
  7. No Profile Picture

Introduce yourself to both. I learned the basics for both and from there I saw what I was more comfortable with. I still use Java and C when writing code.
    Google "C Programming vs. Java Programming" the first site should help you see some general differences/similarities between Java and C
  9. No Profile Picture

I am basically buliding a website and i was wondering what would make it better
  11. No Profile Picture

As far as I know, C# is usually used for server type execution while Java or JavaScript is used for client type execution in site development. I haven't done a lot of website development myself so I am not very familiar with the field.
    hope that helped.
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by audittxl
    I am basically buliding a website and i was wondering what would make it better
    "Building a website", as such, doesn't normally call for either Java or C. If you want dynamic behavior for the user, you might include Javascript. If you want data-driven, server-side actions, you have many choices: PHP, Ruby on Rails, Python as Django or Web2py, and yes, even Java.

I don't know of any modern C-based web-building packages.
  15. Contributing User

Originally Posted by M20
    As far as I know, C# is usually used for server type execution while Java or JavaScript is used for client type execution in site development.
    Who mentioned C#? And Java and JavaScript are not related.
  17. Contributing User

Since you have a goal in mind - web development - you are asking the wrong question. Web applications use many technologies, often in combination with client side and server side scripting and code involved. You choose the technology suited to your application.

Either way C is probably the least likely language for web development of any kind, and suited only to server side operations in any case. It is a systems level language. Also if the choice were between Java and something else, then C++ would be a better candidate in any case, since it shares a similar object oriented paradigm, and can be used anywhere C is suited, while being a larger tool bag.
  19. No Profile Picture

My vote is to get Visual Studio Express and start with ASP.NET.

Great basis for powerful database driven web projects, tons of tutorials, and it's free.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo