1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Programming language to learn?

You guys probably get this question a lot, and I'm not really sure where to post this, but here we go:

I have an engineering background and recently made some hardware that I want to control with my laptop via USB. I want to make some software to control the hardware with a GUI interface. The GUI will not be particularly complex, and I'm looking for a language that's:

(1) extremely easy and quick to learn (i'm not trying to learn hardcore programming here -- just prototype);
    (2) cross-platform (the application must be able to run on both Windows and Mac; I don't care about linux);
    (3) has a free development kit.

My key priorities here are prototyping as rapidly as possible without getting into too much programming nitty gritty and cross-platform support.

I have an in-depth background in PHP, Javascript, HTML, CSS, Visual Basic, a little bit of Java and a little bit of C++.

I was looking into possibly either using Qt and C++, Python, or some language with .NET. Any advice would be really appreciated!

Thanks!
  3. Banned ;)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    You could use Python and Tk to make a GUI interface (should fulfill your cross platform requirements) and get it to call C++ functions to control the actual hardware.
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks for your reply. I mean in terms of controlling the hardware, all I need to be able to do is send commands (words) over USB. For example, send the word "High" over USB. I feel like there must be some Python library to do that, so hopefully I won't have to call C++ functions.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

How does your USB device operate? Does it have a serial driver?
    I no longer wish to be associated with this site.
  9. No Profile Picture

Yep it has a serial driver. So as long as python can open a COM port and send serial commands, I'm good to go.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

You are good to go.

There's two ways to deal with it.

1. Configure the comport using operating system commands/utilities, then pipe the guzinta's and cumzouta's of program to the comport.

2. Call the operating system API's for configuring the comport, then treat the device like a file.

Either way, if you need advice with regard to Python, you should take it to the Python forum.
    I no longer wish to be associated with this site.
  13. No Profile Picture

Cool thanks for all the advice!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo