1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question C# Genetic Algorithm for Timetable Generation

Hey guys

Looking for some advice...
    So have this project in college that I have to create a program to generate a timetable for a college.

A timetable is basically a 2d array of Lessons where a lesson is a Lecturer teaching a module in a room, the timeSlot(period) is the position in the array ie position 0 would be first class Monday & 39 the last position on a Friday. Each timeSlot is itself an array because more than one lesson can be on at the one time.

hope that made sense.... I have random generation just about down but that's where I'm stuck dead...

My question is what is the best/easiest way to encode this :confused: :confused: ???
    Also I've know idea what's a good way to preform a good crossover, my only idea was to get a random timeslot on each parent and swap the contents but I don't think that will work as I'm only changing on array really

TL;DR how to encode a 2d array for genetic algo and preform a good crossover??? :confused: :confused:

Any help would be much appreciated I'm just headwreked!:chomp:
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Do you have a fitness function yet?
    I no longer wish to be associated with this site.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

RE fitness

I plan on given each constraint a value and vary their value based on whether their hard or soft...
    solution closes to 0 is best....

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo